Notices

A question for the paint gurus:

Old 10-17-2006, 11:38 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A question for the paint gurus:

Hi,
Just got the hood and front bumper of my '96 993 coupe (black) painted and already in its first day back I picked up a couple of paint chips on the bumper cover. I know the paint shop owner said to wait at least 4 months to let the paint breathe before applying a clear guard protection film but I fear that my car will look like the face of the moon from chips by then. What to do? Unfortunately this car is a DD and although I can do everything in my power not to follow too closely behind other cars etc. I know I'm going to experience a number of chips before the 4 months are over. How long must I really wait without compromising the very expensive paint job I just paid for? The car lives near the ocean at all times and is an outdoor car. It hardly ever sits in sunlight aside from while on the road. I park in a parking garage by day and find any shade possible whenever I park away from work or home. Any suggestions besides not driving it?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will cause a stink....

BUT I have installed the 3M kits on Porsches a couple of days after getting painted, I still care for them and no signs of any problems.

How long since painted?

Repaints will always chip easier so be extra careful. If this was a single stage paint of years back then youwould need to wait a good time but with todays water-based paints that's no longer the norm.

Anthony
Old 10-18-2006, 03:29 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Hi Tony,
The paint job was completed last friday and was delivered to me on monday evening. I picked up a couple of chips yesterday during my usual commute to/from work which is 25 mi in each direction. Unfortunately I entered the freeway in an area that does not offer much opportunity to stay far back from other cars due to a freeway interchange. I won't take that onramp again as I am fairly certain that was when the chips occured (was forced to follow a truck very closely and the road is chewed up there a bit). I really need to get the 3M on the car soon but don't want paint issues.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

I would get it covered, there should be no paint issues.

Go to xpel.com and see if you can find a certified installer in your area. Make sure you ask for references as the title "certified" might look nice on the wall but the wall ain't doing the work, eh?

Hope everything works out OK for you and the car, ask them to touch up those areas also that have chipped before they install. Let me know what happens.

If you can't find anyone let me know and I'll ask around.

Anthony
Old 10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Hi Tony,
I just checked out the website and found the product for my specific model 993. I was wondering if that company offers a full hood guard instead of just the lower portion. I imagine this could be a difficult install but I did the rear fenders with Invicashield a few months back. Also did the rear wheel wheel area just behind the rear wheels (hard job due to the way the lower portion of the rear bumper cover curves). Looks like the basic upper and lower front kit is about $420 and maybe a little more if I get something for the full hood. I also need to get something that will work on RS Splitters up front since mine isn't stock. Good referral, thanks!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Hey,

Most of your full covers will be custom cuts and only a handful of people can do this correctly.

The most difficult area to do on your own will be the bumper. It is rated as a 5 star and trying to wrap that film around that sweeping front end can and is a PIA!

There should be videos on that site to watch that demonstrate how to apply the film on a Porsche bumper.

Good luck!
Anthony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A question for the paint gurus: