Notices

Heavy oxidation question - How do I color sand my paint?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:07 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Heavy oxidation question - How do I color sand my paint?

My paint on the hood and roof of my 928 looks like crapola` I want to color sand it since a mild abrasive rubbing compound won't bring it back. Is there either a highly recommended compound I should try using OR what sandpaper # should I use to color sand? I have a rotary buffer to polish afterwards.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:50 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

What color is your 928....be careful because some of the colors are base color only, so there is no clear coat and most of the metallic colors do have clear coat? Wet sanding is very difficult to do right & easy to ruin your paint....might be something you want to have a pro detailer-body shop do for you? I have seen some base color 928's that had bad paint come back after a heavy wet sanding....made quite a difference, but it did take off ALOT of paint?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:39 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This one is "schwartz metallic" It is basically a greyish-black with a gold or bronze colored metallic in it and is the orginal paint. I had it color sanded about 4 years ago but it has faded again due to my not staying on top of waxing it, leaving it in the sun etc. Here's a picture below that doesn't show the oxidation but gives a good idea of the color:

I hope to be able to bring back the shine of the hood and roof which seem to be turning a whitish/greyish color. I'm hoping its not too far gone or that too much hasn't already been sanded down from 4 years ago. It is the only time the car has been aggressively buffed or colorsanded since new.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice color!!! I wonder how many times the paint can be wet sanded-heavy polish before it burns through? That I don't know....or could even guess......but the shop that did it 4 years ago might know....couldn't hurt to get an estimate? Or Anthony might have a better idea?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not go to the degree of wetsanding as from your description it seems as if you are having a paint/clear coat issue. I never like wetsanding metallics and avoid it if possible. Reason being is that if you go too deep you're then in danger of shifting the metallic and that would be bad

If possible take a few hood shots in some good lighting and post them up.

Thanks,
Anthony

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heavy oxidation question - How do I color sand my paint?