Product Review with Some Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product Review with Some Pics

Hey Guys,

When I began my obsession with detailing, I couldnt find enough of these threads with thoughts regarding different products and techniques, and always try and give back whenever I do a detailing with pics and thoughts.

This weekend I detailed my brother's 1996 Audi A4, a car he has neglected since receiving it in 2000. (Im talking serious neglect...Read: unwashed since 8/2004 and as a family we couldnt remember when it was last waxed That having been said, here is a quick picture I took of the car prior to detailing:

The car was really gross. (Bird Droppings are left on the paint for rain to wash them away...I swear I am not sure how we are related.)
I started off by washing the car in the early morning (2-Bucket Method) with Mother's California Gold Car Wash and then moved on to drying the car with some MF towels (to be reviewed in a different thread).

In my opinion the worst part of the car is always the wheels. He brakes hard in everyday driving and the dust gets really built up, and after baking on for 8-10 months becomes nearly impossible to remove with just water and a brush. For the wheels I used the Sonus Rim Bright I had reviewed in a previous thread (though the wheels I used it on before were no where near as bad as the Audi wheels), and it worked beautifully. I sprayed it on, let it sit for 5 minutes or so as the directions say and then used a wheel brush (I used a mit with equally good results last time) to agitate the dust. I then hit the wheel with a quick shot of water and the black seemed to melt away. I really love this stuff, and although I always shyed away from wheel cleaners in the past, will definitely continue to use the Rim Bright in the future.

Before Shot of a Front Wheel:

After Shot:

After cleaning the car I pulled it into the garage and began the polishing stages. I started with 3m FI2 (Finesse it 2) on a Orange "Light Cutting" Pad. This seemed to remove most of the swirls I could see under my 1000w Halogen lights. After the 3M FI2 I moved on to Klassse AIO on a White Polishing Pad, and finally finished the car off with my newest LSP (Last Step Product), 4-Star Ultimate Paint Protection. This was recommended to me as an excellent sealant for silver cars to really bring out their shine.

The below pictures are what the car looked like after my full day of detailing:

Also, after finishing the Audi at 4, I pulled my car in to be washed. I washed it in the same way as the Audi with the Mothers Wash and then dried it with my MF towels and MF Dry Mit. After finishing the regular washing I was really anxious to try out my new PoorBoys's World "Spray and Gloss" which serves to shine up the paint after washings, but in between waxings/sealings.

The pic below is taken of my trunk (waxed with P21S 3 weeks ago, but only having been driven 400 miles (in the pouring rain) and garaged otherwise. I almost think it looks better than it did right after I waxed it with the P21S. :nixweiss:

I also have a pretty large Autopia order coming my way this week, and will be posting another review this coming weekend after taking on some more of the family cars. I am particularly interested to see how their Sonus Caranuba Spritz stacks up to the Spray and Gloss..

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and feel free to respond with any questions or comments.

-Richard
Old 06-07-2005, 10:37 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Patience

Damn nice results on the Audi. Love it when wheels clean up like that! Lucky the clear coat wasn't damaged from the brake dust build up and neglect!

I wouldn't have near the patience you must have though. And to wash TWO cars one right after another like that....that's dedication!

Your trunk looks better than new! I have to try the P21s wax. I use Zipp wax, and it's OK, but I heard good things about the P21s stuff.

Also...you have an Estoril Blue M3? Nice!! What year?

Old 06-15-2005, 11:13 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Your trunk looks better than new! I have to try the P21s wax. I use Zipp wax, and it's OK, but I heard good things about the P21s stuff.

Also...you have an Estoril Blue M3? Nice!! What year?:
Meant to check back in this thread...sorry for the late reply.

A) I love the way P21S applies and buffs off and its leaves that classic Caranuba look...definitely my favorite Caranuba.

B) Its actually an Avus Blue M3 (1995 Color Only)..with way way too many mods to list...Engine Swap included.

Thanks for the good words.

Quick Reply: Product Review with Some Pics