Notices

Plastic window care

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:44 AM
statesboroblues
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic window care

Just took ownership of my 2nd p-car, a 2000 C2 cab. My previous was a '97 Boxter. I think on the Boxter, the original owner did everything possible to destroy the rear window! It was faded, cracked, creased, generally just nasty.
Fortunately, the C2 has a rear window in somewhat better shape. The dealer prepped the car for delivery by using a product made by Porsche on that window. At delivery, it looked great. It was clear, unscratched, and supple. I did not get the name of that product though, just that it was a Porsche product.
It would be nice to know what everyone uses to maintain this window on their cars. Please chime in with your suggestions.....
Old 02-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

I believe Porsche uses and then private labels Meguiar products.

Meguiars has a nice plastic polish in their professional line. Another great product, that I personally use alot is Novus. It can be bought at your local Harley Davidson shop. It comes in 3 grades and the #1 and #2 are all one pretty much needs.

A great product to use for upkeep, to clean and protect, is Plexus. Do an internet search for the best place to purchase it.

A general rule I tell all my clients is to NEVER store your top with a dirty rear plastic window! The dust will grind into the plastic window and cause the scratches. Interior adhesive gasses (called "gissing off") being released are what causes the yellowing of the plastic and also the streaking or smearing of interior glass. Again Plexus canbe used for the plastic but if you already have yellowing then you will need to polish that off. Try Novus #2 for that.

Hope this helps,
Anthony
Old 03-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use Plexus also. It is a great product.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Gino
Racer

Default while your talking about window care....

is there any product, polymer coating or such, that can be applied to 'old glass' to lessen or cut down on the speckled distortion created from years of dust and sand dings to the windscreen? as most of us older P-car owners know, it's especially bad in bright sunlight.

could something as simple as Rain-X help?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gino
is there any product, polymer coating or such, that can be applied to 'old glass' to lessen or cut down on the speckled distortion created from years of dust and sand dings to the windscreen? as most of us older P-car owners know, it's especially bad in bright sunlight.

could something as simple as Rain-X help?
Sadly only a replacement of the glass is your best option. Many times the glass can be polished BUT it should not be done by anyone except a glass polishing expert. Otherwise the repair, or an attempt at repair, will make it worse.

Take it to a glass speciality shop, gets some references from your Porsche dealer, call a few body shops, and have them determine through a proper evaluation if they can repair it, or improve it. Don't use steel wool or anything coarse yourself but rather check with a qualified professional first.

Anthony
Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by statesboroblues
Just took ownership of my 2nd p-car, a 2000 C2 cab. My previous was a '97 Boxter. I think on the Boxter, the original owner did everything possible to destroy the rear window! It was faded, cracked, creased, generally just nasty.
Fortunately, the C2 has a rear window in somewhat better shape. The dealer prepped the car for delivery by using a product made by Porsche on that window. At delivery, it looked great. It was clear, unscratched, and supple. I did not get the name of that product though, just that it was a Porsche product.
It would be nice to know what everyone uses to maintain this window on their cars. Please chime in with your suggestions.....
Nothing but Plexus!!!

Quick Reply: Plastic window care