Notices

concours or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:49 PM
adrianr1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default concours or not?

Hi everyone, just purchased my first porsche. 1980 SC targa with 19997 original miles... car is clean, everything original (even tires from 1980) and everyone has suggested me to go concours... any advise? if concour, does that mean i cant drive the car hahahaha... Can you guys point me to the right direction on getting more info. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Adrian
Old 11-23-2004, 04:25 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Many concours entrants have a ton of miles on their car. Many with over 100,000 miles. A lot of concours are also peoples choice awards which means miles are meaningless. In a lot of judged concours, miles are sometimes used to break tiebreakers or close calls. For instance, if your car is a 9.5 on a scale of 1-10 and it has 20,000 miles on it, and theres a car with 125,000 miles thats a 9.3, chances are you may lose because the other car is a much better preserved example given the miles. On a 20,000 mile car, there really shouldnt be many flaws anyway. But by that fact alone you will still do well. While judging is many times based on points all shows are subjective. People are human and have biases. Dont expect to win all the time. The best car doesnt always win. SO have fun with it and enter, but drive your car all you like because it wont affect anything other than perhaps some resale value.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

My experiance has been that it is worth taking a shot. Your local PCA probably has a series of car clinics to teach you what is important and what is a waste of time. I would start there. One thing you will find is 19k or 190k miles these things attract all sorts of dirt and grime. No matter how clean it may look on the surface there is dirt that lies in places that you would never think to look. All of this dirt will eventually destroy even the lowest mileage cars.

It never hurts to thoroughly clean your car inside and out. It give you the oportunity to better understand your car and it looks so much better when it is trully clean.

It sounds like the car you have is a good starting point but once educated you will find ways to clean it that would make a factory new car look filthy.

One other thing to remember is that these things are based on a timed review looking at specific areas of concern and if you touch upon these areas you will do well no matter how many miles. Besides you learn as you go, get to meet lots of nice people with the same addiction as you have and have a clean car to boot.

Good Luck
Old 11-23-2004, 05:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

2 more points.
Yes you can drive the car but you will need to clean it again before the next showing. Second, If you plan on driving the car Buy new tires!!! They may look the part but safety should always come first and tires more than 6 years old are questionable.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:02 PM
adrianr1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great advices... I will definitely look into it more and educate myself. Thanks again

Adrian

Quick Reply: concours or not?