Notices

post-wax questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default post-wax questions

Thought this board could use some more activity, so here are two matters to ponder:

1) Finally got around to removing water spots from my hood. After several attempts at using Meguair's Cleaner (which just wasn't strong enough), I ended up using some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. It was probably a little too strong, but it ended up working.

2) After that, I did Meguair's full 3-step process - cleaner, polish, wax. The car looks and feels awesome. My question is how does one properly maintain the wet look/feel even through fairly regular driving? I have their Quick Detailer and Quick Wax. In what order and regularity does one use them? Finally, do the California Car Dusters actually work? I'm thinking of picking up one.

There was another question, but I've forgotten it already.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:01 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Kurt,
The California Car Duster REALLY does work! The "authentic" CC Duster is the only one to get though. This one has wax baked into the threads and has a wooden handle. It actually works better the dirtier it gets. The cheap imitations with a plastic handle and sprayed on wax (or no wax) just move the dust around instead of removing it from the painted surface. When you first use a brand new Duster it may leave some streaks. This is just some wax residue and will stop after the Duster gets a little dirty.
I no longer use Meguiars products (they are very good though) but I would suggest using the Quick Detailer almost daily and Quick wax once a week or after washing.
Good Luck
R
Old 06-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Robert, precisely what I wanted to hear.

What wax products do you use? I'm probably going to give Zaino's a try after the Meguairs runs out, based on what I hear from the boards here - it seems to be the latest consensus.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:18 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kurt, try Klasse All in One followed by RejeX. Outstanding results. After this, it's duster and detail spray only for months.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Kurt....I honestly think I've tried every product there is out there with the exception of Zaino and Rejex. I haven't tried these only because I'm a stubborn old fart that believes paint should be detailed with natural Carnauba Wax, not a synthetic polymer that BONDS to the paint. Not to start a big debate over wax vs non- wax, thats just my opinion. If you ask the owners of the winning cars at a top level Concours, almost all will say they use Carnauba Wax.
We are entering our 55 356 Coupe in Full Concours at the Porsche Parade in Ft Worth on July 5th and will be using Griots Garage Best of Show wax.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:25 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Robert 100% on the show qualities of real carnuba wax. However, as a daily driver or a car driven more frequently than a full concourse car, Klasse and rejeX are light years ahead as far as durability and ease of use.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

http://zainostore.com/ Once you try it, you won't go back to "wax"
Old 06-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Vaino
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I compete in the various Concours events, and I have never heard of any of them using Zaino's Wax. I use P21S myself, and it holds up very well. Last year at the Florida Parade it survived the nearly endless rain we saw there. Most of the guys I know that show do, as well as many of the professional prep folks.

Remember you really have to choose. Best shine, or longest lasting, they are really opposite sides of the spectrum. Any product will work, it is a very individual choice. Just don't expect any product to do mircles. Take you time, and do right. It took time to get dirty, and to get dull, it will take time to bring it back!

My two cents
Old 06-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Agreed.

For as often as I drive my car (and the not so stellar condition of the paint), I'm basically looking for the longest lasting end of the spectrum, but with acceptable quality of course. Either way, it does take time to both try out new products and restore it from long periods of not being cleaned/waxed.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

P21 and the California duster both work great !
I am in a show tommorrow !
Old 08-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

try Zaino's you'll never go back to waxing
Old 10-19-2004, 07:11 PM
carnutzzz
Intermediate

Zaino.

Been using it for years. Makes wax products seem like kid stuff.

So easy to use too!

Quick Reply: post-wax questions