Notices

Paint Correction Reveals Rock Chips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 06:15 PM
RoughRider911
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Paint Correction Reveals Rock Chips?

Hello. I bought my 992 CS2 last month and when I received it, the car seemed to have very few chips anywhere. I took the car in to have it paint corrected and also have ppf installed and when I got it back, there were many more rock chips on the front bumper and hood than before (and they are now sealed under the ppf). Where did these come from? I’m thinking the dealer I purchased the car from touched up the chips and the paint correction revealed them, but I wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:06 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

That’s a very logical and good assessment, depending on the type of touch used etc they are only masking the fine smaller chips and paint correction can remove those. In your case the PPF people should have let you know prior to ppf application after paint correction, they should have touched up the areas prior to ppf as good practice.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:32 AM
RoughRider911
Advanced

Originally Posted by vg247
That’s a very logical and good assessment, depending on the type of touch used etc they are only masking the fine smaller chips and paint correction can remove those. In your case the PPF people should have let you know prior to ppf application after paint correction, they should have touched up the areas prior to ppf as good practice.
I agree, I was disappointed that they didn’t as I would have had the chips touched up before having the ppf installed. The shop wants to use an insulin syringe to inject paint into the chips. My thoughts are to let them try (they did good work) and I’d it doesn’t work, then I’ll ask them to remove the film and reinstall after I’ve corrected the chips. Thoughts on the insulin syringe method?

Last edited by RoughRider911; 04-10-2022 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:39 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RoughRider911
I agree, I was disappointed that they didn’t as I would have had the chips touched up before having the ppf installed. The shop wants to use an insulin syringe to inject paint into the chips. My thoughts are to let them try (they did good work) and I’d it doesn’t work, then I’ll ask them to remove the film and reinstall after I’ve corrected the chips. Thoughts on the insulin syringe method?
The Dr Color chip system works very well and custom matched to your Porsche paint, Then for the deeper ones use the Porsche OEM paint and take your time to slowly fill any deeper bigger chips in layers. Allow to dry and reapply the ppf. This is the process my PPF performed for my car after paint correction , and before ppf application.

No experience with the syringe method, but if they’re saying they are injecting through the ppf instead of removing it to touch up first, I’d be oppose to that as your are compromising the ppf with those injections and over time it will delaminate faster than the average 7-10 year quality ppf promises.

Last edited by vg247; 04-10-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:00 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,199 Posts

As mentioned, paint probably pulled up when they were polishing. The shop definitely should have let you know and given you the option to have them fill in the chips.

I'd probably want the film removed, chips touched up and then film reapplied. But you can definitely give them every chance to use their method first prior to doing that.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:35 AM
RoughRider911
Advanced

Originally Posted by vg247
The Dr Color chip system works very well and custom matched to your Porsche paint, Then for the deeper ones use the Porsche OEM paint and take your time to slowly fill any deeper bigger chips in layers. Allow to dry and reapply the ppf. This is the process my PPF performed for my car after paint correction , and before ppf application.

No experience with the syringe method, but if they’re saying they are injecting through the ppf instead of removing it to touch up first, I’d be oppose to that as your are compromising the ppf with those injections and over time it will delaminate faster than the average 7-10 year quality ppf promises.
I’m with you on this, even a fine needle would let water in. Thanks for chatting this through gentlemen - I’m going to ask for it to be removed and reinstalled.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:41 AM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 165 Posts

(Deleted)

Last edited by MontBlanc911; 09-23-2023 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Paint Correction Reveals Rock Chips?