Notices

Interior soft touch surface touchup, Stone Gray

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 05:44 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Interior soft touch surface touchup, Stone Gray

I have a 2007tt in exceptional condition that I purchased a year ago and started to concours. The interior is Stone Gray and I found a few nicks and scrapes of the "soft touch surfaces" on the door storage bins, especially on the surface right under the hinged cover. It looks like a combination of seat belt clip, finger nails and other hard objects scraping off the gray outer material....exposing the black plastic.

This annoyed me but couldn't figure out how to "touchup" the defects with a matching color and matte finish. Stumbled upon a product that can be found at some auto paint stores that service professional paint shops. SEM makes a plastic paint designed for restoring plastic cladding and bumpers on SUV and Crossovers. It comes in a nice range of colors although it is only sold in a spay can.

The SEM BUMPER COATER 39583 LIGHT CHARCOAL paint is a near match for the Stone Gray soft interior surfaces...it is just a slight bit lighter. I sprayed the paint into a small dish and with a fine paint brush, painted the individual nicks/scrapes after using alcohol to clean the surfaces ( cleaned 3 times). The paint is very thin and goes on very easily. While not a true matte finish it is similar to the factory finish. Bc the areas I was painting are 1/2 way down the door it is very difficult to see any differences in the touched up scratches and far better than the exposed black plastic. The paint hardens in 48 hours to a durable finish and blends quite nicely.

Last edited by lflouie; 10-31-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:27 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

can you post an image? This is only available as a spray?
Old 11-18-2019, 08:19 PM
lflouie
Racer

This is a pic of passengers door with the arm rest lifted to expose the "soft touch" material. The touch up is above the light and slightly to the right along the bottom edge of the trim (approx 1 1/2" long). If you look to the right on the rounded corner you see a small untouched up black dot, for comparison.

Yes the paint only comes in a spray can, but simply spraying into the cap and using a fine tipped water color type paint brush, it is easy to paint on.

The paint is made to be used on plastic without any special primer. Just thoroughly clean the surface with rubbing alcohol at least 3 times, and once just before painting. The first 3 are to ensure the surface is clean and uncontaminated, the last should be done by letting it remain on the plastic for 2-3mins to "slightly" soften the plastic to aid bonding just before removing and painting. The paint dries quickly and sets to a hard finish in 24 - 48 hrs
Old 01-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thank you so much for this!

I too have stone grey interior, and last year I slightly scraped the soft touch paint on the center counsel, due to placing a folding chair in th car for HPDE. I used a shirt or blanket but obviously it did not work enough o protect it, and it’s been making me me sick ever since.

is there any known method to try to match the texture? Other than using a fine paint brush?

jeff

Originally Posted by lflouie
I have a 2007tt in exceptional condition that I purchased a year ago and started to concours. The interior is Stone Gray and I found a few nicks and scrapes of the "soft touch surfaces" on the door storage bins, especially on the surface right under the hinged cover. It looks like a combination of seat belt clip, finger nails and other hard objects scraping off the gray outer material....exposing the black plastic.

This annoyed me but couldn't figure out how to "touchup" the defects with a matching color and matte finish. Stumbled upon a product that can be found at some auto paint stores that service professional paint shops. SEM makes a plastic paint designed for restoring plastic cladding and bumpers on SUV and Crossovers. It comes in a nice range of colors although it is only sold in a spay can.

The SEM BUMPER COATER 39583 LIGHT CHARCOAL paint is a near match for the Stone Gray soft interior surfaces...it is just a slight bit lighter. I sprayed the paint into a small dish and with a fine paint brush, painted the individual nicks/scrapes after using alcohol to clean the surfaces ( cleaned 3 times). The paint is very thin and goes on very easily. While not a true matte finish it is similar to the factory finish. Bc the areas I was painting are 1/2 way down the door it is very difficult to see any differences in the touched up scratches and far better than the exposed black plastic. The paint hardens in 48 hours to a durable finish and blends quite nicely.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:30 PM
lflouie
Racer

Originally Posted by Janton9736
I too have stone grey interior, and last year I slightly scraped the soft touch paint on the center counsel, due to placing a folding chair in th car for HPDE. I used a shirt or blanket but obviously it did not work enough o protect it, and it’s been making me me sick ever since.

is there any known method to try to match the texture? Other than using a fine paint brush?

jeff
if the scrape is a thin line a fine paint brush should work. If it is wider than 1/8th inch then the only suggestion would be to apply several applications with a fine tipped brush to minimize the difference, but no idea on replicating texture.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:13 PM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lflouie
if the scrape is a thin line a fine paint brush should work. If it is wider than 1/8th inch then the only suggestion would be to apply several applications with a fine tipped brush to minimize the difference, but no idea on replicating texture.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Interior soft touch surface touchup, Stone Gray