Notices

Winter Prep for new (to me) 2018 Macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 12:39 PM
g00se
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Prep for new (to me) 2018 Macan

Long time reader and first time poster as we now own a 2018 Macan Turbo in Volcano Grey. Prior to purchase just a few weeks ago and when we first saw the car, it had some holograms and other paint defects that I was pleased to see have been removed. I generally cannot see any defects in the paint right now so that leads to the request for some help of those more knowledgeable in detailing and Porsche paint/care moreover. I have spent (wasted) a fair bit of time the last few weeks catching up on products as my last foray into detailing was about 12 years ago with a BMW 545 ("Fire over Ice" if you recall that combo).

For reference, this is my wife's daily driver so I am leaning towards a ceramic coating - more questions below on that.
  • While the paint seems free of scratches and swirls it needs to be clayed and assume I might as well use IronX as well.
  • If the paint look OK should I still polish? Sonax Perfect Finish seems a popular choice? If thinking of Cquartz/Gliss combo maybe Essence as the polish instead?
    • Polisher is the old PC 7424 and have mostly LC CCS Pads - Worth the leap to a Rupes 15 MkIII??
    • I picked up some Meguiars D300 and MF cutting discs but don't see the need on this car.
  • If not going with Cquartz UK3.0/Gliss (my first time applying Ceramic) other suggestions (Kamikaze/ISM?) that play well with dark paint but are also newbie friendly?
Thanks in Advance for your assistance - it is appreciated.

Last edited by g00se; 10-05-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-05-2019, 09:16 AM
g00se
Cruisin'

Maybe better to take this to Autogeek forums...
Old 10-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 2,200 Posts

It doesnt necessarily need to have clay, although on any new car I typically would just to start with a clean surface. If you put your hand in a plastic bag and rub your hand over the paint and you don't feel any imperfections, then you probably don't need to clay. But I always would along with Iron X. During transport, stuff will get imbedded in the surface.

Yes, I would use Sonax perfect finish. Great polish. Essence has some filling properties I believe, which also helps to prepare the surface for CQuartz but I would prefer perfect finish.

If you are doing polishing once a year, I would keep the porter cable or see if a friend or someone on here will let you use theirs. For $20 and paying for shipping, if I had a Rupes, I would probably let someone on here use it as long as I know they were reputable and were not going to take it from me. Friends have let me use their Rupes since I polish yearly and having a $300-400 machine I cannot justify.

Doesn't sound like you need Microfiber cutting pads, but those are always good to have. They seem to really clean the paint well when compounding and getting other contaminants out of the paint.

I have no experience with this coating, but this combo seems very popular of Gtechniq.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...m-light-exo-v4

Let me know if you need any other help, happy to help.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 PM
g00se
Cruisin'

Thanks for the comments. Will look into the link provided on Gtechniq

Just ordered the perfect finish and a few more foam pads.

For a one step with PF - Green or White LC CCM pads?

I have a 6" plate so will grab some 6.5" pads. Also getting a 3" BP and will get matching 3.5" pads to whatever 6.5" I use.

Last edited by g00se; 10-05-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: info added
Old 10-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I would probably go green. Your car is in good condition so this is more to bring out gloss.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:48 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

If your car is in good condition you just want to abrade the surface enough to make sure its ready for a coating. You could do something like Essence if you are using CQuartz 3.0, I've used this combo with good success. The only downside to Cquartz is it can be finicky to remove but so far its honestly the best consumer grade coating I have used. I've never had a full car fail before two years. Perfect Finish would work on a finishing bad or Meg's 210 which is another nice finishing polish. If you are going to use something besides Essence pick up a small bottle of Carpro Eraser or other polish remover, you can also use Isopropyl alcohol diluted. This will ensure the panel is completely bare and ready for a coating.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 PM
g00se
Cruisin'

Thanks - I do have Eraser ready to go.

30mL or 50mL bottle needed of CQuartz3.0 ?

Have either of you topped with Gliss?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by g00se
Thanks - I do have Eraser ready to go.

30mL or 50mL bottle needed of CQuartz3.0 ?

Have either of you topped with Gliss?
30 should be enough. 50 if you want to do plastics or wheels. I haven't used Gliss before unfortunately.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:01 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 for CQuartz UK. I’ve used it on a few cars, and just bought some to use on my new Cayman S. The paint is in good shape so all I’ll be doing is a good wash, some iron x, tar remover, light claying as needed, panel wipe, followed by the coating application. Just remember, for this coating less is more. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 for CQuartz UK. I’ve used it on a few cars, and just bought some to use on my new Cayman S. The paint is in good shape so all I’ll be doing is a good wash, some iron x, tar remover, light claying as needed, panel wipe, followed by the coating application. Just remember, for this coating less is more. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I always go for the smallest bottle of ceramic coating unless I am doing wheels also. If just doing paint, you probably won't even use all of the 30ml bottle.

I have never topped with gliss. I always use CarPro Reload.

Quick Reply: Winter Prep for new (to me) 2018 Macan