Notices

DIY Clear Bra (possible)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:39 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts
Default DIY Clear Bra (possible)

Only one shop in the area and prices are pretty high with average results. I go through cars every couple of years and really can't spend thousands every time I buy one. I am sure the shop uses pre cut X-Pel products and which is what I plan on using my self too. I don't plan on wrapping the front bumper but would like to attempt the hood/fenders etc
Has any one applied these films themselves and what do they recommend? I have watched several YT videos and I think it's doable?
Wonder if X-Pel has any training locations on the east coast where one can learn how to apply these films?
Suggestions?
Old 06-02-2019, 06:42 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Here is my experience with this. I had a gentleman who wanted a ceramic coating on his car, he had a WRX and wanted a film on the bumper, hood, and mirrors but wanted to try himself. I don't do film and told him I would not attempt it, I would help him as a courtesy but I was just as clueless as he was. I polished his car and applied the coating while he started his Xpel. The mirrors went ok, not perfect fitment but was passable for DIY for sure. The hood was on another level, it was going okay and then just like that he miss stretched it and the piece was basically ruined. If you don't mind possibly ruining an expensive piece of the film give it a try but its a lot harder than it looks. I would also recommend having someone help you. I believe Xpel is or use to be training only out of Texas, 3M has training in Baltimore.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Xpel sells the pre-cut kits for many of the 911 models. For example the full hood, fender and mirror kit is $862 (USD) and the front bumper is $585 (USD) for a 991.2 GTS. That's nearly $1,500 in just materials for the full front.

For a previous Audi A7 I purchased a pre-cut kit for just the front bumper (Xpel). Granted bumpers are difficult, but after 3 hours of messing with it I got so frustrated I gave up. When I purchased our 911 and our new A7 in both cases drove them directly from the dealership to the PPF installer.

Not sure where you are located, but here is a thread started a while back on recommended PPF installers across the country. Perhaps you can find someone else not far away. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9459...rs-thread.html
Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Depends on your patience level and access to someone that can help when you get in a bind. Flat surfaces like hoods and roofs are not that hard. They actually go fast. Doors are harder followed by fenders and bumpers. The key is good film, wetting solution that allows the film to be placed, steam (not a heat gun) and patience. You need all. Wetting solution can be as simple as baby shampoo and water or order from XPEL. T
Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

PPF installation is really experience driven. I'm sure you could get PPF on after watching some vids etc, but I'm not sure that you'll be happy with your results. Alignment, avoidance of dust beneath, and keeping bubbles out are very difficult for a first timer.

But if you do try it, start with the least conspicuous panels first. And yes, Porsche hoods are pretty flat - but the size makes it tricky to keep dust out and liquid/air bubbles worked out.

If you go for it - good luck with it! Stay patient.

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (02-14-2021)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

I am actually looking into getting some training classes prior to attempting it first. I think there's a place in Cincinnati and one in Chicago that I can attend but they are scheduled during the week days meaning missing work, don't like that. Anyway, I will be attempting the rocker panels, wheel arches and may be the lower parts of the doors and planning on doing the 3M instead of the Xpel (cost effective).

This project is for the X5M and not the Porsche though.

Yes I will either have a friend help me hold the film or our 15 year old son, we'll see.

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 06-03-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

You can absolutely do it yourself if you are looking for protection only and not for perfect looks. Even the professional installer that I go to who routinely works on very expensive cars has small issues with his work but it is still some of the best that I have seen.

I am sure XPEL down in Texas could train you or Esoteric in Columbus.

If your plan is to protect the car for a couple of years then sell it as you mentioned, you will be fine. But if you are looking for a job that you would be willing to take to Cars and Coffee, I would probably let someone else do it.

I would also recommend checking the XPEL and Suntek installer pages to make sure there is no one else close to you or no one that could drive to you. My installer in Cleveland routinely drives to Pittsburgh to do work.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:06 PM
rokemester
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
You can absolutely do it yourself if you are looking for protection only and not for perfect looks. Even the professional installer that I go to who routinely works on very expensive cars has small issues with his work but it is still some of the best that I have seen.

I am sure XPEL down in Texas could train you or Esoteric in Columbus.

If your plan is to protect the car for a couple of years then sell it as you mentioned, you will be fine. But if you are looking for a job that you would be willing to take to Cars and Coffee, I would probably let someone else do it.

I would also recommend checking the XPEL and Suntek installer pages to make sure there is no one else close to you or no one that could drive to you. My installer in Cleveland routinely drives to Pittsburgh to do work.
I’m curious who you’ve worked with in the Cleveland area. Must be good if customers are having him/her schlep to Pittsburgh. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Envious Eric
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PPF on your car is not something you should "try" to do. 1 - its expensive for the material, 2 - learning curve takes months to years, not hours, 3- it will not come out clean, you will stare at all the problems every single time you walk past your car.

Best bet, pay once and get a warranty from a reliable shop.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by rokemester
I’m curious who you’ve worked with in the Cleveland area. Must be good if customers are having him/her schlep to Pittsburgh. Thanks!
Block a Chip. Per usual, I recommend being very clear on what specifically you want in the install. If you want a custom bumper install without seams, mention that, if you want edges wrapped, mention that. There are good people out by you too, I think.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Name:  wrv4Ngp.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  221.0 KB

The skill gap is one thing I appreciate about learning to install PPF about 9 years ago. With detailing and "paint correction", folks can grease up the surface with oils from the product and it can deceive eyes into believing they're getting expert level results (until it washes out or they throw outlandish hours at it). And at the end of the day, if someone wishes to do that type of work to their car and they don't damage anything, they are out their time beyond the entry-barrier cost for equipment. For PPF, it's a different field all together. There is a world of difference between a "good" installation and an "expert" installation. "Good" to "novice" is an even greater gap. But DIY'er to a good installation is like different worlds. All along the way, the material cost is insane and so every mistake resulting in film coming off is costly. And even detailers who have excellent hand/eye coordination lose their minds while dialing in PPF installation skills. And I can't tell you how many seasoned window tinters who thought they could do well with PPF purely because of their tint-film experience have told me how PPF is the devil.

PPF installation is no joke. Buy once, cry once. Buy twice, cry twice. And if you have a wild hair and are okay with potentially losing $1k+, Xpel will sell to literally anyone so why not? But if you have any real expectations of serious quality and don't want to buy twice, save your money and have a pro do it the first time. And IIRC, Xpel 3-day training is around $1400.

Quick Reply: DIY Clear Bra (possible)