Notices

Concourse - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Concourse - advice please

I'm arranging a car exhibition for our Porsche Club here in Oman, on March 4th. I, nor any others here, have experience from any real Concourse competition. Could anyone please give me some sound advice what we should do?
- We are a small club of about 70 members. If we turn up 25 cars, that would be good.
- The oldest car would be a '85 911 and a '89 911, otherwise all is 90's and recent.
- fair mix of air-cooled and water-cooled.
- lots of modified and tuned cars.
- judges will be car-freaks, but without any prior knowledge of Concourse.

Advice much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just make it a "peoples choice" and give everyone a ballot to vote for their favorite.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a member of PCA's Polar Region ... a region with about 80 members. A couple of years ago, a relatively new member took on the challenge of arranging our first Concours, and faced a similar question. His answer ... Concours "Lite".

The reality for our region is this. We are somewhat remote, and attract no serious shiners from other regions ... so we draw from our small membership only. Everyone competing is just a weekend shiner -- nothing real serious. Most of us drive our cars daily in the summer, and we all drive to the Concours. About half the participants take their car to a pro to be detailed, and absolutely no one wants to scrub the undercarriage, detail the engine, paint the inside of the ashtray, etc..

So, Concours "Lite" rules look at the visible exterior surfaces, visible interior surfaces, luggage compartment, engine compartment, and toolkit. The average owner probably cleans all those areas once a year, so our spring Concours "Lite" involves preparation most of our participants will be doing anyway.

And its been wildly successful. Year 1: 16 cars and 70 people to the evening banquet. Year 2: 36 cars and a 100 people to the evening banquet. Projections for this, our third year ... well, we booked a hall that will hold 140 if need be. And it was a pleasant surprise to see another PCA region borrowed not only our rules, but the Concours "Lite" name as well.

If you'd like to know more, contact our region's Concours Director, Ivor Lammerink, at ilammerink@hotmail.com.

Quick Reply: Concourse - advice please