Notices

Best product for plastic trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best product for plastic trim

What is a good product to use on plastic trim parts like the ones below?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Take a look at KAMIKAZE ISM! On black plastic trim, it will restore it to a deep original black, and protect it for a very long time. For durability, a proper application can last a realistic 24-36 months.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikaze-ism-coat-v2-0/

If you were looking for the "next best" product after ISM we would recommend GYEON Trim: https://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-trim/
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I haven’t tried ISM but it looks interest....

At the moment my cars plastic components are protected with 303 aerospace which has worked well.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

I've never used ISM but I am sure it's good coming from Esoteric. Also, recommend Cquartz Dlux for long-lasting or PERL for a regular maintenance dressing.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for CarPro PERL. Easy to use and lasts maybe a month or 2. I also like it on the tires for a clean satin look
Old 03-12-2019, 05:34 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
+1 for CarPro PERL. Easy to use and lasts maybe a month or 2. I also like it on the tires for a clean satin look
Another nice thing about PERL is you can cut it. So if you wanted to use it on something like interior plastics under the dash by your feet or door sills you can dilute it with water so it's not as heavy. I use 1:1 for my go-to tire dressing.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:41 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Recently did my own paint correction and ceramic coating and used the CarPro D-Lux for the tires and black trim.
Very pleased with the results, but I’m sure the recommendations from Esoteric are solid since they do it for a living.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Envious Eric
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We coat all the trim using a trim coating. The uv Sprays are decent, but coatings are longer lasting, better protecting, better looking. Its not a one and done, but its much simpler to coat it every couple years than reapply 303 type of product every 2 months.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I want to give the coatings a try, at the moment I’m only seeing two offered on Autogeek for trim and they cost about $60 for the prep and application kit. For those that have used trim coatings, are they for the most part a similar base ingredient with a similar end result?

303 works well when applied regularly but having something that lasts longer would be nice.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Modesta EPC all the way.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I applied Gyeon Trim on my black plastic trim this past weekend. Very easy to use. Looks great - nice matte finish not shiny. We'll see how long it lasts.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:55 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I want to give the coatings a try, at the moment I’m only seeing two offered on Autogeek for trim and they cost about $60 for the prep and application kit. For those that have used trim coatings, are they for the most part a similar base ingredient with a similar end result?

303 works well when applied regularly but having something that lasts longer would be nice.
Are you just looking for a protective coating, or do you need a color restorer as well? I suspect the best coatings are void of color restorer, like the Kamikaze ISM recommended by Esoteric. That's a nano ceramic that can be used on paint or plastic trim, but it would require your plastic trim to already be in good condition. It's not going to restore the black color to faded trim. On the flip side a product like Forever Black will physically paint/dye the trim back to a dark black color. You would then want to put a coating over the top so it lasts. Most of the other products are somewhere in between.

I've used Black Wow and it is great for returning the black color and only lasts a month. That's why it's cheap. I bought Polish Angel Black Bond to try out this year, but I think at best that's supposed to last 1 year.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Are you just looking for a protective coating, or do you need a color restorer as well? I suspect the best coatings are void of color restorer, like the Kamikaze ISM recommended by Esoteric. That's a nano ceramic that can be used on paint or plastic trim, but it would require your plastic trim to already be in good condition. It's not going to restore the black color to faded trim. On the flip side a product like Forever Black will physically paint/dye the trim back to a dark black color. You would then want to put a coating over the top so it lasts. Most of the other products are somewhere in between.

I've used Black Wow and it is great for returning the black color and only lasts a month. That's why it's cheap. I bought Polish Angel Black Bond to try out this year, but I think at best that's supposed to last 1 year.
That’s a good point, not just for me but for anyone else who’s interested. In my case I want to use the protective coating on a recently purchased 2006 Mini Cooper JCW that is absolutely prestine. It has 13k miles and hasn’t seen much sun exposure so the trim is literally new. Due to lack of garage space we will have to keep it outside so I want a product that will provide very good UV protection and of course protection from road debris.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:39 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's in pristine condition then I'd go the nano-ceramic route just like you would on new or freshly polished paint. Give it the best, longest lasting protection you choose to afford.

Funny that you're doing this to a JCW Mini. So am I, but my wife's is a 2013 and the plastic is nowhere near pristine . All sorts of faded grey. Probably the result of nearly 60k miles of year-round use.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:35 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

A buddy of mine who is a concours addict and chief concours judge for a large PCA Region recommended Lexol Vinylex for vinyl, plastic and rubber. When i asked him that question, I was looking for something for tires that was low luster, without that oily greasy look that I hate.

Quick Reply: Best product for plastic trim