Notices

Best product for plastic trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 09:09 AM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Does anyone have any experience using this product on rubber and trim?

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search

It says it's for tires, but I bought a used Carrera that was detailed with it and it looks pretty amazing - all black parts look brand new on a 30+ year old car. I personally haven't used it on rubber and plastic, but given the results, I will probably try it.
The following users liked this post:
scr1244 (11-30-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 09:07 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That’s a good point, not just for me but for anyone else who’s interested. In my case I want to use the protective coating on a recently purchased 2006 Mini Cooper JCW that is absolutely prestine. It has 13k miles and hasn’t seen much sun exposure so the trim is literally new. Due to lack of garage space we will have to keep it outside so I want a product that will provide very good UV protection and of course protection from road debris.
A good product on interior trim will help keep parts from drying out. To protect from UV, you'll need all windows tinted. I went with the Suntek/Llumar ceramic tint. People (even car guys) don't even notice my windows are tinted, with the 70% tint I chose. It helps keep the inside cooler, reduces glare, and fully protects the interior from UV damage. And it does not noticeably reduce vision at night.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a product called "Black Wow" which did a nice job in restoring my 911's black trim that had whiten with age. Worked for months!
The following users liked this post:
JAB_997 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:25 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by abokor
Does anyone have any experience using this product on rubber and trim?

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search

It says it's for tires, but I bought a used Carrera that was detailed with it and it looks pretty amazing - all black parts look brand new on a 30+ year old car. I personally haven't used it on rubber and plastic, but given the results, I will probably try it.
I've used on my tires in both spray and gel forms. I wasn't thrilled with it as both products required a lot of effort to "work in" to the tires in order to mitigate sling. Given the hardness of plastic I'd wonder how it would dry on that surface.

On plastic trim I've been using Griots Vinyl and Rubber dressing (https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn). I like it, but would welcome alternative suggestions

Make sure whatever product you end up using that it has UV protection.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:05 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
A buddy of mine who is a concours addict and chief concours judge for a large PCA Region recommended Lexol Vinylex for vinyl, plastic and rubber. When i asked him that question, I was looking for something for tires that was low luster, without that oily greasy look that I hate.

I've been using Lexol Vinylex for over 13 years. I don't use it on interiors, just tires and trim. For trim, I spray a small amount on a microfiber and carefully apply it, cleaning up around it with a clean towel. Tires, that's easy.

One of the main reasons I use this product is because it REALLY does UV protect, and it doesn't have the old yellow'ish build up other sprays do.

I like it, won many a concours with it!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:47 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I've been using Lexol Vinylex for over 13 years. I don't use it on interiors, just tires and trim. For trim, I spray a small amount on a microfiber and carefully apply it, cleaning up around it with a clean towel. Tires, that's easy.
One of the main reasons I use this product is because it REALLY does UV protect, and it doesn't have the old yellow'ish build up other sprays do.
I like it, won many a concours with it!
Good info. That's how I was instructed for tire application.
What do you prefer for interior parts?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:50 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Modesta EPC all the way.
Don't see this product on Modesta website....
Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Good info. That's how I was instructed for tire application.
What do you prefer for interior parts?
I've tried all the popular products over the year, I prefer nothing other than keeping it clean and dust free. I do use Griot's leather on the seats to keep them clean and supple as I'm in the drivers seat for 2 hours a day.

I've judged quite a few Porsche concours events and the winning cars don't use anything either.

Oh, and I do always use a UV protector sun shade when it's not under the car port.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

I recently stumbled onto this product and it's the best plastic restorer I've used to date.
Amazon Amazon

If your car has the white/gray color to the unpainted plastics (obviously not an issue for the car in the original post) it does a great job of bringing the black color back. It's not a permanent fix, but it does last quite awhile. It's not super oily or greasy, but I like to apply it a couple hours before I wash the car to let it "soak" a bit, and then wash the car to remove any leftovers.

Quick Reply: Best product for plastic trim