Post clay bar haziness

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:27 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Post clay bar haziness

I have a CPO 2017 911 Agate grey.

When I got it from the dealership they put the PermaPlate product on it.

Yesterday was the second time I washed it. I do two bucket, Adams shampoo with foam cannon. I was going to GYEON cermamic coat but I have a huge paint chip on my door/rear panel that needs to be addressed.

I also used Adams clay bar and detail spray with quality microfiber towels. It's definitely smoother but there is a haziness to it.

Prior to waxing/polishing, should I wash again or move forward???
Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Use a bit more lube when claying the car. It helps keep the clay from leaving as much residue behind. Also, an actual clay lube like Dodo Juice Born Slippy is more slick than detail spray. It comes concentrated and you dilute to make a spray. You can get several years of claying out of the small bottle of concentrate. Use extra and don't think twice about it. I switched to the Born Slippy after a couple years of just using Griot's QD. Definitely less likely for the clay to stick to the paint, but it still picks of debris.

A lot of folks recommend washing again after clay to get all the residue off. I've also seen recommendations to clay while washing and use the lubricity of the soap for the clay. Then you're already mid-wash and don't need to wash again. Personally I just go over the car with quick detailer after clay and then an isopropyl alcohol spray prior to any polishing or coatings.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wash
Clay
Wash
Tape
Polish
Alcohol
Sealant/Wax
Old 12-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Clay scratches paint so it’s not surprising that you have some haze.

I would clean the paint again, either with a bucket wash or a quick detail spray and wipe with microfiber. You’ll need to polish the paint to remove the haze, a single finishing step should be enough unless you have some deeper swirls/scratches.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:26 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you weren't too impressed by the dealer's detailing and the Permaplate product to immediately address the finish yourself? (assuming your second wash wasn't months after buying the car, that is!) And too bad the dealer didn't address the huge chip before the sale!

Quick Reply: Post clay bar haziness