Notices

New 991.2 GT3 polish/wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 78 Posts
Default New 991.2 GT3 polish/wax

Please don't gang up on me here as I'm sure the question has been answered/debated numerous times here but I did a quick search but didn't see any direct (read-easy) results. I've had my car about a month and I've always taken care of my cars myself and really enjoy doing it. The car is metallic black which is obviously tricky but the looks outweigh the work when clean. The car is not ceramic coated but does have the front wrapped for stone chip protection. I want to know what is a good regular wax/polish that I can use periodically after washing. I hand wash with zip wax car cleaner and then use an absorber to dry. I always hand apply wax/polish and hand remove and historically have used some type of caranuba cleaner wax by either McGuires or Mothers. I figure now would be a good time to make a switch since it hasn't had anything except the dealer prep when I took delivery. I'd love to hear from anybody that is in a similar situation and has a go to product that is easy to apply and remove and works good on a 991.2 that is metallic black. Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2018, 02:13 AM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Jet Black Metallic 991.2. I’ve tried quite a few waxes and wax hybrids (wax + sealant, wax + ceramic coating). I keep coming back to P21s 100% Carnuba Wax as the best. It’s extremely easy on and off, and looks better than anything else I’ve tried - by a wide margin.

It doesn’t last long, so I keep two coats of Jescar Powerlock on the paint under the wax to ensure the paint stays protected. The Powerlock is a once-every-six-months job, so the combination isn’t too bad from a time-spent perspective.

FWIW, I apply the P21s (and the Powerlock) with a dual-action polisher, which I think yields a thinner, more consistent coat. It’s also probably faster that way.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 AM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Also, you can clay and polish beforehand if you get inspired. You’ll be rewarded with optimal-looking results. I’ve had good luck with Menzena 3500 polish on white Lake Country foam pads. Red Lake Country pads for applying wax and Powerlock. I’m planning to re-do the clay and polish once a year.

Last edited by DoubleDare; 09-21-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:42 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

DoubleDare- Appreciated! I'll order some of that and get started. When you say doesn't last long... how often do you apply it? Honestly I'll wash between polishing but will do just one wax/polish application product without all of the other clay stuff, etc. Every month? Let me know. It's pretty easy to do so frequency is OK. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

RSA, I've been applying the wax about once a month and washing about every two weeks.

You'll know it's time to re-apply when water stops beading on the paint.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:21 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

One more thought, RSA.

P21s 100% Carnuba Wax isn't a cleaner wax, so your end result will only be as clean as the surface you start with.

However, P21s makes a cleaner lotion as well, which I've had good results from. After washing and drying the car, you wipe it on, let it dry a bit and buff off. Then apply the wax.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:31 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks. I just ordered both. I was at Rennsport Reunion all weekend and am flying out tomorrow AM. I saw this rapid dry towel in the vendor section which I ordered as well. Looks way better than the absorber thing I've been using... Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:18 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSA964993
Great, thanks. I just ordered both. I was at Rennsport Reunion all weekend and am flying out tomorrow AM. I saw this rapid dry towel in the vendor section which I ordered as well. Looks way better than the absorber thing I've been using... Thanks again.
I was at RRVI on Friday and saw the Rapid Dry demo as well - very impressive. Hope you'll let us know how it works for you.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

I just got home and the Rapid Dry towel is here along with the P21s products. Amazon Prime certainly gets things delivered quickly.. One last question, I have the a track wrap which means the front of the car is covered along with the rear quarter panels. Do I wax the wrap or just the paint? On my old GT3 I would wax the 3M cover because it would get cloudy and waxing it would shine it up. I have no idea what to do with the newer paint protectors. I'm hoping to use the new products over the weekend. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:00 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

RSA, are you sure it's TrackWrap and not one of the other X-pel products like Ultimate or Ultimate Plus?

TrackWrap is a temporary film meant for track events. Ultimate is more permanent and meant for everyday driving.

Assuming you have Ultimate or something similar, the process would be the same as for the paint: wash, dry, use the P21s cleanser, then apply wax by hand.

Personally, I wouldn't use a machine polisher on X-pel or similar films unless absolutely necessary, but others differ on that. I think you said you're doing everything by hand in any event.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 GT3 polish/wax