Notices

wheel cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 10:47 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wheel cleaners

I have read some of the recommendations for quality wheel cleaners such as P21S or sonax, but can any one recommend an "over the counter" cleaner that would be available at local stores. Reason I ask such a blasphemous question is I've taken ownership of a used set of wheels and have already scheduled their installation for next Tuesday, but will be away Thurs thru Monday so only really have tomorrow or Wednesday to clean them. So ordering online is out of the question. They really aren't too dirty, I guess I can get by with just hand washing them, but while they are off I did want to give them the best cleaning (and protectant?) I could for the time being. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:19 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NJS_04_996
I have read some of the recommendations for quality wheel cleaners such as P21S or sonax, but can any one recommend an "over the counter" cleaner that would be available at local stores. Reason I ask such a blasphemous question is I've taken ownership of a used set of wheels and have already scheduled their installation for next Tuesday, but will be away Thurs thru Monday so only really have tomorrow or Wednesday to clean them. So ordering online is out of the question. They really aren't too dirty, I guess I can get by with just hand washing them, but while they are off I did want to give them the best cleaning (and protectant?) I could for the time being. Thanks!
Simple Green is readily available and effective. Just make sure that like any cleaner you get it rinsed off.
I used it for years without issues, but am diligent about rinsing.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:24 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Simple Green is readily available and effective. Just make sure that like any cleaner you get it rinsed off.
I used it for years without issues, but am diligent about rinsing.
Good suggestion, as I do have Simple Green already. Do you use it full strength, or dilute it a bit? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:13 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Full strength on a wet wheel (by full strength I mean as bought from the store).
Old 08-28-2018, 11:42 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I too have used Simple Green for years on my wheels. I cut it by a third with water. However, just tried Sonax for the first time in the past three months. By far it is the best Wheel cleaner I have used.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:16 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Try Griots wheel cleaner now sold at autozone, etc
Old 09-18-2018, 01:19 AM
A.A.
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything that contains sodium thioglycolate. It bonds to iron particles form break dust and suspends them in the water. You still need to agitate with a lug brush but it does alot of work for you.

Best thing I have found to compact wheel grime is a wheel sealant. Basically the same as paint sealant but stickier and can take a little more heat. Ammo NYC makes a great one but its out of production at the moment. I had it on my truck last fall and its lasted almost a year through harsh condition. Many trips to Tahoe and a long road trip to Utah. Got em 90% clean just spraying them off.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by A.A.
anything that contains sodium thioglycolate. It bonds to iron particles form break dust and suspends them in the water. You still need to agitate with a lug brush but it does alot of work for you.

Best thing I have found to combat wheel grime is a wheel sealant. Basically the same as paint sealant but stickier and can take a little more heat. Ammo NYC makes a great one but its out of production at the moment. I had it on my truck last fall and its lasted almost a year through harsh condition. Many trips to Tahoe and a long road trip to Utah. Got em 90% clean just spraying them off.
Agreed. I have tried a couple different iron-eating wheel cleaners and do keep a bottle around. I find that applying a proper wheel coating is better. After a track day a quick power wash takes 95% of the brake dust off the wheels. When I do spray them with the wheel cleaner there is very little iron left so I seldom see the "color change" these wheel cleaners advertise. Scrubbing with soapy water and a brush gets the rest of the iron and rubber bits off the wheels. I've only tried one wheel coating so I don't know if others are better, but the small bottle looks like it'll do a fair number of wheels. It also doesn't seem to be affected by the brake heat at a track day. Two track days so far this year and the wheels are still releasing dirt easily.

Quick Reply: wheel cleaners