Concours etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:20 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Concours etiquette?

Hi guys,

I like great looking cars and while I believe my 964 is quite nice, it is not perfect (yet). Is it acceptable to sign up for a concours knowing that there are things I need to address? It could use new floor mats, it does not have rear seats yet for instance.

It is a crowd I don't really know and I would not want to waste people's time. I want to have fun and learn, not annoy anyone. Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

It is your car, and if you enjoy cleaning and showing it then by all means you can enter the car. Doing so will give you the list of what needs to be addressed and that alone could be valuable to you.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Start with wash and shine and make sure you focus on cleaning every nook and cranny. When the judges come around they often like to engage the owner and learn more about the cars history so that’s your chance to explain it’s a work in progress and your goals. They will certainly guide you (assuming they’re good judges) with how you can improve the car so it’s show winning. I’ve shown and judged for years now and I would have no issue explaining what needs to be done.

Make sure you ask for your score sheets at the end of the judging so you can see where the points were taken off and focus on them next time. Also make sure you read through a few PCA concours guides available online, that will help with prep.

Good luck and enjoy the process. To me the whole point of competing in concours isn’t winning the trophy, it’s about restoring a car to its original factory appearance. Go in with that mindset and if you win you achieved your goal.

Quick Reply: Concours etiquette?