Notices

Driveway DIY’er looking for help choosing correct products for a much needed detail

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:45 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts
Default Driveway DIY’er looking for help choosing correct products for a much needed detail

Hello All

I have been trying to do a proper Detail /sealant on my wife’s 958 GTS for almost a year now but life keeps getting in the way

I have some time off coming up in a couple of weeks and am finally hoping to tackle this project
I have been pretty loyal to Prima products in the past, have used Mequire’s new cutting polishes to rejuvenate my 88 E28, have used orbital buffers for years, am experienced with clay bar and have been glazing/waxing my cars for over a decade.

That said, it has been a while since I was religiously detailing my cars and like any other product, I am assuming there are newer/better products out there which offer ease of use or better results for same effort, longevity and performance.

I am hoping to do clay bar, some sort of light paint correction to eliminate subtle swirl marks, glaze (or whatever the industry term may be) to bring out the depth in paint and then wax/seal the paint so I can be sure it is protected for 3-6 months.

Can you guys recommend a line of products I can use with my current Random Orbital buffer?
Also, I see that everyone is using nano-sealants now but most require a professional application, Are there any sealants a DIY’er can use?

Are these sealants applied after the entire detail process, including wax?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,966 Likes on 2,045 Posts

If you want a truly one click solution, I would recommend just going to obsessed garage.com, a sponsor here and buying everything from him. He doesnt have a polishing package yet, but he will soon.

For a compound and polish, Menzerna/Jescar is a good choice as is Sonax Perfect Finish.

For sealant, just go with Menzerna/Jescar as well. Good products, easy to use.

Always use sealants after you polish.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with bxstr about obsessed garage. A lot of good help on that site. Matt has recommendations for the products you need. Adam's Polishes and Griots Garage are also excellent for products and learning. Have fun.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

We recently covered 1-step polishing, check out the video:

Most coatings are available to consumers. Ease of use and durability are two of the largest factors with newer coatings. We don't recommend using wax on top of a coating (because you would lose the coating properties) but there are various coating-specific top-coats such as GYEON WetCoat, GYEON CanCoat, Kamikaze Over Coat, etc.
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 01-27-2018, 08:10 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I have used Mezerma polishes with my random orbital and had good results. I have a medium and fine and use w/ orange or blue pads depending on how aggressive you want to be. Start with fine.

Additionally, Optimum Gloss-Coat is a very easy to apply nano coating...couldn't be easier. Last about 2yrs. Goes on after polish and alcohol wipe down and before wax.

1) wash
2) clay
3) polish 1 or 2 step depending on paint condition
4) Nano coating
5) wax for depth of shine

Quick Reply: Driveway DIY’er looking for help choosing correct products for a much needed detail