Notices

Concours Question.....Changeover to Rotiforms

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 04:11 PM
JustSlummin47
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Concours Question.....Changeover to Rotiforms

I purchased a 911-50 last summer with 2,000 miles on the clock. I found that it was impossible to remove some (soap?) residue from in and around the lug nut areas. It has affected my scores twice. I am deciding on either having the wheels refinished or trading to a ROTIFORM three piece Fuchs stylized wheel.
Who if anyone, has had experience showing their ride with aftermarket wheels as far as a points reduction in Concours?
I purposely am not showing the wheel, as I do not want to sway the responses.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 PM
JustSlummin47
Advanced

Default Moved it

I just moved the above to the "Wheels" section.........
Old 03-23-2019, 01:42 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by JustSlummin47
I purchased a 911-50 last summer with 2,000 miles on the clock. I found that it was impossible to remove some (soap?) residue from in and around the lug nut areas. It has affected my scores twice. I am deciding on either having the wheels refinished or trading to a ROTIFORM three piece Fuchs stylized wheel.
Who if anyone, has had experience showing their ride with aftermarket wheels as far as a points reduction in Concours?
I purposely am not showing the wheel, as I do not want to sway the responses.

Thanks!
What have you tried to remove it? What is the finish on the wheels currently? Can you post a picture?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Much of this will really depend on which class you’re showing in and which concours. For example if your showing in the PCA unrestored (preservation) class then anything that is not original to the car will be considered a deduction. If you’re showing in PCA full, street or show & shine then you can get away with tasteful modifications as long as they’re in perfect condition. I showed my 964 last summer with RUF wheels installed, they were refinished when I bought them and they’re as new so no points deducted in street class.

Concours outside of PCA can be more picky and will be judge dependent. In those instances you should ask the judge up front if certain modifications are acceptable.

Good luck either way. Concours seems to be on a steady decline as people are either losing interest in the “show” aspect and or don’t have the patience for it. I only do it to further improve my cars and or keep them preserved to a high level and having someone else inspect what I may have overlooked or missed just helps me to continue improving the cars.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:56 AM
JustSlummin47
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Much of this will really depend on which class you’re showing in and which concours. For example if your showing in the PCA unrestored (preservation) class then anything that is not original to the car will be considered a deduction. If you’re showing in PCA full, street or show & shine then you can get away with tasteful modifications as long as they’re in perfect condition. I showed my 964 last summer with RUF wheels installed, they were refinished when I bought them and they’re as new so no points deducted in street class.

Concours outside of PCA can be more picky and will be judge dependent. In those instances you should ask the judge up front if certain modifications are acceptable.

Good luck either way. Concours seems to be on a steady decline as people are either losing interest in the “show” aspect and or don’t have the patience for it. I only do it to further improve my cars and or keep them preserved to a high level and having someone else inspect what I may have overlooked or missed just helps me to continue improving the cars.
I showed last year in PCA "full", with a third and second under my belt (Boston and Long Island), considering that I owned the 50 for only two months. I did learn a great deal from the judges. I would hate to put the hours in and lose points on the shiny new wheels this season!
There are "First Place" trophys on the shelf for the Cayman and the Z06, however; I found the 911 judging to be much more "rigorous".
On this issue of prepping for the show.....Folks ask me all the time about why I "waste my time" picking out dust specks with a tweezers and duct tape....my response is, "Hey, it's cheaper than a psychiatrist!" To paraphrase the oldest Honda Motorbike ad..."You meet the nicest people at the Concours"!
Thanks for your input

Last edited by JustSlummin47; 03-27-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I used to live in the South Shore and also showed and judged at the Larz Museum PCA Concours, I have a few trophies from that time. I also showed at the PCA concours in Long Island when I had my 928 back in 2010, I have a first place for that too. That was the show that introduced me to the Spyder and once I saw it my 928 days were numbered.

Both are great venues and yes, great people. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Concours Question.....Changeover to Rotiforms