Removal of Road Salt

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:18 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removal of Road Salt

Removal of Road Salt - http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2017...road-salt.html

Although salt is inert when subjected to freezing (15 – 20. oF) it’s considered the lower limit for salt to melt snow/ice but once H2O, even in the form of moist air (i.e. humidity) is added the freezing point is lowered and the saline solution(salt/water) will have an adverse effect on the vehicles paint and undercarriage.

When washing the vehicle ensure that all salt is removed to avoid a saline solution remaining on the paint finish. Using a durable protection (Collinite Insulator Wax) will provide a sacrificial and renewable protection to the vehicles paint finish. Do not dilute, ValuGard Rust Inhibitor can be spray applied

The salts (often mixed with grit / sand for tyre adhesion)
Old 10-10-2023, 08:17 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

My practice when operating vehicles in the Salt Belt was to garden hose wash off all the crud throughout the winter.

The plumbing was changed by me to permit selection of hot water to the garden hose.

The underbody would be completely hosed down, the rest of the vehicle washed, then pulled into the heated garage for drying.

If there was any wind then the vehicle would be encased in an ice shell prior to entering the garage.

There would be a sand rectangle in the spring on the driveway location where the vehicles were washed.

This method saved my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I special-ordered new in 1994. All the other Salt Belt vehicles severely rotted out and were discarded. Mine survived w/ very minor rust issues and is still being used.

Quick Reply: Removal of Road Salt