Notices

Wheel Well/Undercarriage Cleaning - What A Pain!!! How to clean effectively???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Wheel Well/Undercarriage Cleaning - What A Pain!!! How to clean effectively???

I recently changed the brakes on my 2000 911 Carrera and I thought while I had the wheels off I would do a quick cleaning/wax of the wheel wells and undercarriage. Well, I never got to the wax part because I had a very hard time getting the wheel wells clean enough that I would have been comfortable putting wax on the areas. Granted my wheel wells have not been cleaned thoroughly for about 4-5 years but I was still very surprised that I could not get them sufficiently clean to apply wax.

My cleaning technique: I sprayed the areas down with P21S Total Auto Wash followed by a thorough rinse from a garden hose. When this did little to nothing to clean the surfaces, I used a bucket of water, with about 5+/- ounces of P21S TAW, and microfiber cloths to wash the areas followed by rinsing with a hose. This technique worked well but still did not thoroughly clean the areas.

Any tips? Should I simply continue cleaning with the TAW and microfiber cloths until the areas are sufficiently clean? I know once I get it cleaned and waxed, subsequent cleanings will go much faster and easier but getting there is a real PITA.

TIA for any help.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 09-01-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Spray the undiluted P21S TAW on the surfaces, agitate with a soft brush (hard boars hair is best) and then rinse. Follow up with a plastic/vinyl conditioner for all rubber and plastic parts and leave the painted surfaces alone.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

XENIT has been popular on the 993 board for cleaning undercarriage. I have no experience with it yet, but you may want to do a search.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Spray the undiluted P21S TAW on the surfaces, agitate with a soft brush (hard boars hair is best) and then rinse. Follow up with a plastic/vinyl conditioner for all rubber and plastic parts and leave the painted surfaces alone.
+1...allow TAW to sit for 3-5 minutes, then follow the procedure above.

303 aerospace is an excellent product to protect everything.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...tectant/Detail
Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
TIA for any help.
You want to wax your wheel wells?

I've used Xenit Cleaner & Remover to clean the underside of my 993. It works extremely well.

A case of 12 cans including free shipping goes for $48.70...its gone up substantially in the last year. You'll need a case.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks for the soft brush tip, I'll give that a try.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You want to wax your wheel wells?

I've used Xenit Cleaner & Remover to clean the underside of my 993. It works extremely well.

A case of 12 cans including free shipping goes for $48.70...its gone up substantially in the last year. You'll need a case.
Why the confusion with regards to waxing parts of the wheel wells? Sure it's a tedious job but what harm could come from waxing the bare metal and painted surfaces within the wheel wells? It would make subsequent cleanings go much easier, probably needing only a quick rinse with a hose.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Undercarriage Cleaning & Care

High Pressure Under body Lance

Kärchar angled spray lance specifically designed to clean those hard to reach areas under the wheel arches and the under carriage, compatible with all Kärchar domestic pressure washers.

Methodology

1. Thoroughly spray an undiluted citrus cleaner (P2IS Total Auto Wash) and let it soak in; remove by thoroughly rinsing with water. If you have a pressure washer available, fill tank with citrus cleaner and spray undercarriage (do not use excess pressure as water may penetrate crevices and seams where it cannot drain, causing corrosion), let it soak and then remove with plain water.
2. Spray undercarriage with (ValuGard Alkaline Neutralizer or Eastwoods Road Salt Neutralizer), which deep cleans painted surfaces to remove alkaline deposits and safely dissolves the alkaline salt particles bond with the paint so that they can be rinsed away. Allow product to remain in place for 5-7 minutes. All necessary safety precautions should be taken whilst using these products
3. Rinse vehicle undercarriage
Protection - apply a coating of Bilt-Hamber Laboratories - Dynax UC a high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on metal surfaces; apply thin coats and allow each coat to thoroughly dry

Alternative product
1. Wurth High Build Underbody Spray produces a jet black, textured finish in wheel wells and on lower rocker panels. This spray will hide a multitude of blemishes and make old wheel wells look factory new. Provides permanent yet flexible protection against flying stones, rust, water and road salts

2. Wurth SKS Stone Guard matches OEM Factory applied stone protection on vehicles such as BMW, Fiat, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Renault; for use on door sills, front and rear body parts, mudguards, under bodies, rocker panels, etc. Stone Guard is a water based product and offers easy clean-up, its paintable and can be top coated with solvent based urethane or water-based top coats (available in Black or Grey)
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (04-18-2021)
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Sure it's a tedious job but what harm could come from waxing the bare metal and painted surfaces within the wheel wells?
No harm at all.

By the way, there is no "bare" metal within your wheel wells or at least there shouldn't be. If there is, it might be an indication of previous body work. The wheel wells in my car are all painted, even the areas behind the fender liners.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the soft brush tip, I'll give that a try.
Taking it one step further, if you are as picky as I am, cover the metal band of the paint brush with heat shrink tubing. This prevents any possibility of the metal band scratching a painted surface.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
No harm at all.

By the way, there is no "bare" metal within your wheel wells or at least there shouldn't be. If there is, it might be an indication of previous body work. The wheel wells in my car are all painted, even the areas behind the fender liners.

I was referring to suspension components when I said "bare metal".
Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I had very good success with Xenit. P21S TAW is a great product, but no match for the crud on top of the cosmoline in wheel wells. My car had less than 40K miles at the time...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ht=archaeology
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I had very good success with Xenit.
Matt, I followed your thread.

Now all you have to do is the rest of the underside. That takes more dedication than the wheel wells because you are going to get soaking wet with Xenit, Facto AT30 and water dripping onto you.

I highly recommend wearing sealed goggles...don't ask. A very long handled 1" stiff bristle paint brush is a must (art supply).

This is nuts; I keep my motorcycles that clean, but a car? Well, these aren't just any car.

The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (04-25-2021)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

If I had a lift, yup, that would definitely be a great winter project!

Someday...

Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
If I had a lift, yup, that would definitely be a great winter project!
No lift, just a floor jack and a driveway. Good thing the weather was nice and warm.

Quick Reply: Wheel Well/Undercarriage Cleaning - What A Pain!!! How to clean effectively???