Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A 'step up' from a sealant

“A ‘Stepping Stone’ to using a coating”

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2017...g-coating.html

Optimum Gloss Coat is a hybrid coating consisting of SiO2 (silicon oxide) and SiC (silicon carbide). a protective clear resin coating, similar to the clear coat that already exists on your vehicle. It can be applied to all exterior surfaces. It is not recommended for glass since improper application can affect visibility. For other exterior surfaces, it is a highly effective, transparent, permanent coating that keeps your vehicle looking like new.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I love this product for ease of application. That said I have had mixed results. On a 2016 street car with nice clear coat it works great. On 2002 race car that also has a street car paint job it did not hold up so well. Simply did not last. Same on my truck. Truck is white and quality of the GMC paint job is not the same as street car. All three cars were well prepped prior to installation. What do you think is happening? Perhaps it bonds better to newer paint formulas? That is about all I could come up with.

Last edited by RobT 394; 12-16-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2017, 12:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

TOWGT, I always appreciate your information and contributions to Rennlist.

I use OGC on my wheels and calipers every year, during wheels-off prep, before winter hibernation. My only challenge is to portion out 10mls for 4 fat-*** wheels and 4 big reds.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobT 394
I love this product for ease of application. That said I have had mixed results. On a 2016 street car with nice clear coat it works great. On 2002 race car that also has a street car paint job it did not hold up so well. Simply did not last. Same on my truck. Truck is white and quality of the GMC paint job is not the same as street car. All three cars were well prepped prior to installation. What do you think is happening? Perhaps it bonds better to newer paint formulas? That is about all I could come up with.
What is your pre-coating paint preparation process?.
There may be silicon residue that is preventing proper bonding

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-17-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the reply, and like others have said, really appreciate your contribution as I always learn something. Typically the last step is a polish of some type. Menzerma or P21 or Meguiars. Will try using a wax stripper/cleaner and then OGC. It is a wonderful product.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Typically the last step is a polish of some type. Menzerma or P21 or Meguiars. Will try using a wax stripper/cleaner and then OGC. It is a wonderful product.
I think your very last step, before applying the OGC, should be a quick wipe with denatured alcohol. That's what I do on my wheels after washing them.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Paint Surface Cleaning

Chemical (solvent) - formulated with solvents and / or very fine abrasives (Kaolin or China Clay) Most of their cleaning ability is provided by the cleaning solvents, not the polish. Used to remove old wax, embedded dirt and light stains from paint; they help to restore gloss and remove light surface imperfection (oxidation, paint stains, marks left from bird excrement, water ‘spots’, and etc). They are designed to be used as often as required without measurably reducing paint thickness. Some paintwork cleaner’s act as 'All in One' products, so not only do they clean and polish, but also provide limited protection

Optimum Paint Prep™ is an excellent cleaner for removing polish or old wax before applying any of coatings or waxes. A combination of mild solvents dissolves and removes all the contaminants and leaves the paint squeaky clean and ready for the final protection. Will not leave any marring of the surface and does not contain any oils or surfactants and leaves no residue behind.

P21S Paintwork Cleanse, a gloss-enhancing chemical cleanser that contains fillers (Kaolin or China clay) will remove old wax, light swirls and oxidation. It can be applied by hand or with an orbital polisher. Paint cleaners are designed to remove old wax, oxidation, embedded dirt and light stains from your paint surface. They can remove micro-marring of the surface (i.e. light towel marks) but typically will not remove imperfections that require levelling the clear coat, but can remove some oxidation and mineral deposits.

Chemical solvents paint cleaners are good to use if you want to prep the paint surface prior to applying a wax (without polishing). My preference would be to use an IPA or DuPont’s PrepSol as it doesn't leave any (silicone / mineral) oils or etc behind, as these can cause problems when polishing or the application of a coating if they are not removed

Swissvax Regular Cleaner Fluid - an advanced paint preserving solution containing heavy polishing oils that will refresh the paintwork and does not contain abrasives. Cleaner Fluid has to be applied before the first Wax application and easily removes swirl marks, light scratches, tar spots and tree sap as well as old wax and other residues and provides a smooth and perfect surface as an essential basis for the wax application.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you suggest a pre-coating polish or cleaner for a car that has a LOT of vinyl graphics?
It's a challenge to work on the paint without touching the vinyl.
Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Swissvax Paint Cleaner is a non-abrasive chemical cleaner
Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Swissvax Paint Cleaner is a non-abrasive chemical cleaner
Thanks - is this comparable to Nanolex EX?

Quick Reply: A 'step up' from a sealant