Acid, pH and all that Chemical stuff

Old 12-24-2017, 08:13 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Acid, pH and all that Chemical stuff

"Acid, pH and all that Chemical stuff" -
http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2017...cal-stuff.html

Potential hydrogen [: in chemistry, pH is a measure of the activity of the (solvated) hydrogen ion. p[H], which measures the hydrogen ion concentration is closely related to, and is often written as, pH .Pure water has a pH very close to 7 at 25°C. Solutions with a pH less than 7 are said to be acidic and solutions with a pH greater than 7 are basic or alkaline]

Simply put the potential of hydrogen (pH) scale is a set of numbers between 0 and 14 where 0 (Hydrochloric acid) is the most acidic and 14 (Bleach or Lye) is the most alkaline (caustic) pH is a characteristic of water solutions only; without water, you cannot have a pH. The pH scale is logarithmic; for every integer that the scale decreases the material is 10 times more acidic.

Why pH values is not an ideal criteria for the selection of car care products

One of the most confusing things about this business is the chemicals used and the chemistry behind them. Certain product or combination of products can have a negative impact and to the newcomer in the industry, or your every day enthusiast, understanding the chemical interactions could become challenging, if not darn right confusing.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

This is one of the aspects of detailing products that many don’t pay attention to but it can have a big affect on overal longevity. I’ve found many very well received products to be too harsh to use on cars including P21S Total Auto Wash, Simple Green, most wheel cleaners and certain quick detail products containing too much silicone. All these products make the initial cleaning very easy with great initial results but with time I see degradation in the paint, plastic or whatever surface is in contact with the chemical.
I try to stick with pH neutral products and milder products which perhaps need more elbow grease or just cost more.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This is one of the aspects of detailing products that many don’t pay attention to but it can have a big affect on overal longevity. I’ve found many very well received products to be too harsh to use on cars including P21S Total Auto Wash, Simple Green, most wheel cleaners and certain quick detail products containing too much silicone. All these products make the initial cleaning very easy with great initial results but with time I see degradation in the paint, plastic or whatever surface is in contact with the chemical.
I try to stick with pH neutral products and milder products which perhaps need more elbow grease or just cost more.
This, especially when it comes to silicone products. I dont use dressings with silicone at all, due to the terrible things that it does to rubber long term, and even short term. Would much prefer to use Carpro Perl or Ammo Mud and get a slightly less shiny appearance that will last a bit less long, but not have it degrade the rubber.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acid, pH and all that Chemical stuff