Notices

Rust on Rotors after Wash

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rust on Rotors after Wash

I get, like everybody else, rust on the rotors of my 2013 Carrera S after a wheel cleaning. I use Adam's Wheel Cleaner. Once the rotors dry I drive the car applying the brakes to remove the rust from the rotors. But then I have to "dry" clean the wheels to remove the rust on them. Solutions? Any opinions about Hyde's Rustopper? Good or bad? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:34 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

I use it. It helps but doesn't remove it completely from the first real breaking event!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

A MasterBlaster from Detailers Domain helps me a ton.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:56 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
A MasterBlaster from Detailers Domain helps me a ton.
I use an electric leaf blower on the rotors after a wash. It helps dry them but rust still forms which gets on the barrels after braking that must then be cleaned. I wonder if the Master Blaster would be that much better. Suggests as to how this "second" cleaning should be done and which products would be helpful. I am using Adam's Waterless Wash for the second cleaning being careful to keep the rotors dry. I also use a spray on sealant (Car Pro Hydro Lite) on the wheels after each wash to help keep brake dust from sticking. Me **** - nah!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Neun 11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How well does that sealant work? Does it help keep the barrels cleaner? You have to reapply it each wash? Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Neun 11
How well does that sealant work? Does it help keep the barrels cleaner? You have to reapply it each wash? Thanks for your suggestion.
Best solution is a wheel coating, so Opticoat, CQuartz, Kamikaze. With this you don't have to apply every wash, should last you a year or two, even with the high heat.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by Neun 11
I think the sealant helps to keep the wheels clean. After the "second" cleaning the wheels stay pretty clean needing light touch ups. I am using more waterless and rinse less products now instead of a full wash if the car is not real dirty. Trying to avoid getting the rotors wet as much as possible. The sealant is a simple spray on, rinse off, application. It only needs to be applied once in a while but I apply it after each full wash since it doesn't use much.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Best solution is a wheel coating, so Opticoat, CQuartz, Kamikaze. With this you don't have to apply every wash, should last you a year or two, even with the high heat.
I have shied away from coatings. They seem too permanent to me. I would rather seal the wheels more often with something that can be easily be cleaned away.

Quick Reply: Rust on Rotors after Wash