Notices

Thoughts on the best sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:51 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Thoughts on the best sealant?

Looking for some input on the best paint sealant available OTC? My experience has been with Klasse AIO and high gloss sealant.

2. Anybody use Carpro Reload as the "only" sealant/protection on the paint? my PPF installer recommends its use on the PPF.

I am not going down the "ceramic road".

thanks!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I use Carpro reload as the only sealant, it works excellent. Lasts 4-6 months even with daily driving.

Menzerna/Jescar Powerlock is also excellent.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

More important to the final coat, is your prep and paint correction.

Years ago I used Zaino and RejeX Wax. Both great.

Now I'm a nano coating guy.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

I've used Klasse and found it troublesome

switched to Poorboys World Polish w/Sealant

https://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-polish-sealant.html

affordable, forgiving, easy clean up (Klasse was a much harder finish)
I've never waxed after, hence AIO
just a thorough hand wash, clay bar and machine polish
spring / fall

Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
More important to the final coat, is your prep and paint correction.

Years ago I used Zaino and RejeX Wax. Both great.

Now I'm a nano coating guy.
Lex, what do you use? I just started using Jescar PowerLock on all of my cars. I love how easily it goes on and buffs off, but I wonder how long it will last.

Also, what are you using for wheel coating? I bought some Black Label 850 wheel sealant but have yet to use it. The pads on the new Macan give off an atrocious amount of dust.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Lex, what do you use? I just started using Jescar PowerLock on all of my cars. I love how easily it goes on and buffs off, but I wonder how long it will last.

Also, what are you using for wheel coating? I bought some Black Label 850 wheel sealant but have yet to use it. The pads on the new Macan give off an atrocious amount of dust.
Hey Mark! Happy Friday!!

As for nano coatings, my car was professionally done (including paint correction) in early 2014 and late 2015 with OptiCoat Pro. Then in September of this year, 2017, I had the car done with CQuartz Pro. Each time, it's about $1,200. Car looks amazing. Super easy to wash. Stays cleaner longer. For example, I did over 12,000 miles this driving season. I washed the car twice! Granted, I don't drive in the rain much at all, and when I do, it's like an automatic car wash. Funny.

After I wash my car, and it's dried (Master Blaster) I quick wax the car with Kenotech from Phil at Detailers Domain. Super easy. Super slick.

For my wheels, I do them every year prior to winter hibernation. I pull the wheels, and wash with soap & water. Maybe a little Simple Green or Citrus Degreaser, if needed. Quick wipe with denatured alcohol, and then nano coated with Optimum Gloss Coat. Also from Detailers Domain. It's $60 for a 10 ml syringe. Just enough for 4 wheels and 4 calipers.

During the driving season, the wheels are super easy to wash with warm soapy water. Never use a wheel cleaner. I top coat the clean dry wheels with Armor All Outlast bought at Walmart. Let cure 24 hours.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Lex, thanks! Will have to do more research on what you're having done. Prefer to do it myself rather than pay someone. The Macan's paint is perfect, but the 993 has some fine scratches in it.

I use my Master Blaster all of the time and went with it based on your recommendation. The haters think it's too expensive, but, once you try it, there's simply no going back to a leaf blower or air compressor.

Are you saying it's a good idea to never use a wheel cleaner or that you simply don't need to use one? Tried the Nanolex wheel cleaner and iron remover per Phil's recommendation and like it so far: https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...andironremover I ask because I have read about people with faded brake caliper clearcoat and wonder if it's due to a wheel cleaner.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Are you saying it's a good idea to never use a wheel cleaner or that you simply don't need to use one?
For me? I'd say "both". Mark, here is a dirty front wheel, after over 2,000 miles. Not bad!
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Menzerna PP ............ :thumbup or get a proper ceramic paint protector like Pomponazzi or opti coat applied
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
For me? I'd say "both". Mark, here is a dirty front wheel, after over 2,000 miles. Not bad!
My wheels look like that after ten miles.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Lex, thanks! Will have to do more research on what you're having done. Prefer to do it myself rather than pay someone. The Macan's paint is perfect, but the 993 has some fine scratches in it.
Mark, here are some fun pictures to help tell a little bit of the story.

In the first picture, my car at the detailers, is after 2 years and over 24,000 miles on the OptiCoat Pro from the late 2015 application. This is only after a wash. Nothing else.

In picture #2, this is now how the car looked last month (September) after a light polish and the application of CQuartz Pro. Pretty "wet" looking.

In the final picture, that's how the car looked with over 3,000 miles on the newest CQuartz coating, a few rain storms, and many-many back road miles near the site of 2018 Porsche Parade in Missouri. Late October. Last drive of the season.
Attached Images    
Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the info, I am going to try the carpro reload after I get the paint corrected.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Lex, thanks for all of the photos! Head is swimming with the choices. Hell, I'm lucky I've moved past Zaino.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

And today Detailers Domain has its 20% off (almost) everything sale.
My continuing thanks to Phil for great advice and Products.
Name:  photo417.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  570.2 KB
Old 11-29-2017, 12:56 AM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I use both of these products as well, but not together. I wonder if they will "play well" with each other. Probably reload on top of Powerlock?

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I use Carpro reload as the only sealant, it works excellent. Lasts 4-6 months even with daily driving.

Menzerna/Jescar Powerlock is also excellent.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the best sealant?