Notices

Opti-coat doesn't "pop"; Basalt Black

Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Opti-coat doesn't "pop"; Basalt Black

I recently purchased a 997.2 with 12,000 miles; it is Basalt Black, and the original owner opti-coated and X-Pelled the front 1/2 of the car. Trouble it, it looks a bit flat compared to the platinum silver 991 I just detailed. I know, different color, but I haven't detailed the 997 because I didn't want to screw up the Opti-coat (which is 6 months old).

What should I do? Am I using the wrong soap? I read somewhere that several people like quick detailer for enhancing shine, but others say that is a no-no and we don't want wax interfering with the nano-coat.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

It's hard to identify the likely culprit for the lack of luster over the web. What part of the world are you in? If I know of a trusted expert in your area I can refer you to them to inspect your car for you.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 AM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had my previous car opticoated. I think people expect too much out of the coating. For example "I will never have to do anything to the car except wash it and it will shine as good as the day it was applied.

I had to use something like Car Pro Reload every 4 months or so to bring back the shine.

On my current Black Panamera I decided to only wrap with PPF (Partial) as I figured that I have to wax every 4-6 months anyway, what is the purpose of Opticoat? Also the prices jumped up so much that I just felt it was not worth it anymore.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 AM
ProReflection
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best way to apply the coating is after the car is polished, even with a light finish step polish. in your case probably the car was not brought to it`s best than coated.....
another option is the car may be washed wrong in the last 6 months and got some spider web swirls....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opti-coat doesn't "pop"; Basalt Black