Notices

Please comment on this wash & Dry Technique

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Please comment on this wash & Dry Technique

I previously owned a Meteor Grey Audi S5. I had it Ceramic Pro'ed. I used this (which I will explain) method before, and got very little if not any swirling.

4 years later I sold the S5 and now I purchased a BLACK Panamera after I swore I would never get another black car again. And I am more concerned with this car because its black.

My method is to use a a pressure washer to hose off the car, I then use a foam cannon with Optimum Car Wash (3 oz to a quart bottle in the foam cannon) , I let it foam, sit for about 3 minutes, I use wheel woolies to go over the wheels only (not the rest of the car) during this time, then pressure wash it all off. I then use a leaf blower to blow my car dry. I then Use Optimum Products Optimum No Rinse diluted to quick detail-er proportions (I ounce to 1 quart water) and spray that on visible places the foam did not get left over stuff (e.g. pollen spots) completely off with a plush micro fiber. Its usually only about 3 or 4 places. I also wipe down some light water spotting areas (4 or 5 areas).

I theorized that less touching of the car is better and I want to minimize touching to avoid swirls.

But I see almost everyone using the cannon, then the 2 bucket method and it makes me wonder if I am not getting all the dirt off and run the risk of swirling that into the paint?

Again, my Audi always looked great with this method and there were virtually no swirls over 4 years, but it was grey and not black. I decided not to OPticoat Pro this car because of the raised prices over 4 years on the Opticoat and I had to apply wax or sealants (eg. OPtiseal) over it every 4-6 months anyway to keep it super glossy (Ceramic Sealers seem to still need maintenance to look good). So I figured I would just traditional wax every 4-6 months since I did it even with he Optic-Coat Pro. I'm too afraid to do the Opti Gloss on my own.
  • Could you please comment on your thoughts on my washing method?
  • Is not going over it with a mit after foaming it leaving Dirt behind that can swirl the paint or is touching it with a mit more of a risk for swirls?
  • I am almost out of ONR. Is there a better product I should be using as quick detailer? I use 1 oz per 1 qt of this stuff in hopes it lubricates so that when I spot wipe, it won't swirl.

Last edited by Diamond Dog; 10-03-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I am not really a fan of Optimum No Rinse when it comes to a routine wash, I would use it for that wash every once in a while when you don't have access to a hose or your car is really not all that dirty.

I would first wash your wheels. Then foam the car, then you can either rinse it or not rinse it, then two bucket wash, then rinse off, and then dry with some sort of a drying aid.

In order to actually get the dirt off of the paint you should wash it with a mitt.

Yes, leaving dirt on the paint that you are going to wipe off with optimum no rinse would cause swirling in most cases. You would be better off using a product like the Microfiber Madness Incredimit or Incredipad, and then doing the two bucket method.

ONR Is the best product for waterless washing. Quick detailer is essentially the same thing, and I really like Kenotek Showroom shine for detail spray. But it is more expensive than ONR and it can't be diluted. Any other questions, feel free to ask and I am sure others will chime in either agreeing, or with their own method.

Quick Reply: Please comment on this wash & Dry Technique