Notices

Ceramic Pro / nano coating - How do you wash?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:47 PM
cajerseyboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Ceramic Pro / nano coating - How do you wash?

I just had Ceramic Pro applied to my 991. Prior I would use kenotek detail spray as part of the drying regiment. Seals and shines.

With the ceramic Pro is this needed?

Any sealants or waxes used on nano coated cars?
Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I just had Ceramic Pro applied to my 991. Prior I would use kenotek detail spray as part of the drying regiment. Seals and shines.

i just had my car coated with Modesta and my installer told me, I don't have to use any additional product during the drying process since the coating is that initial barrier. Also said if the car isn't filthy I can just pressure rinse, foam lance, pressure rinse again, then dry off with a car blower.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM
daryloffset
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No waxes or sealants. The detailer should have informed you of correct after care procedures and products.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

How someone sells a costly service like this to you and lets you leave without any information on this topic is beyond me.

You should absolutely call up your installer and insist on the on-going care instructions.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:19 AM
ProReflection
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coating should be enough , but if you apply anything else on top for piece of mind, shouldn`t hurt.
just keep in mind the more you touch the paint the more chances you have to put some swirls or scratches.
i would use some quick detailer or polymer based sealants - ideal spray , so no residue, and this like dry aid.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:23 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 695 Likes on 365 Posts

nano coatings require a slightly different care than traditionally wax or sealant protected cars.

you don't want to clog the nano structure with products like spray waxed or wash solutions that have waxes. So, you need to use a soap and spray solution that is compatible with the coating.

i'm not familiar with Ceramic pro, but we CQuartz Finest Reserve for our client cars. We recommend CarPro Reset as soap and Reload as maintenance spray.

As mentioned, your installer should have given you advice on how to care for your coating and what product to use.

Lucky for you, you're on an excellent forum with members and vendors with great advice
Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 PM
cajerseyboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. The detailer I used was great. No complaints about not providing detailed instructions. He gave me the CP pamphlet that included instructions and wanted to review but I was in a hurry and didn't have time. My specific question came up later after my sprinkler systems went off while the car was curing. It needed to be washed faster than I had anticipated. Good times

I used kenotek detail spray prior to the coating application and was told that it was fine to use now after washing and would actually help maintain the nanocoating. The product is working great and I have zero complaints.

Looking forward to taking the GTS down to car week in Monterey next month.

Look for the blinding rhodium silver GTS if your around.

Trending Topics

Old 07-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Right on! That's good to hear!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 PM
David Fermani
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad everything worked out for you NA430GTS!

Technically, a true coating shouldn't require/need a supplement protection product or any special maintenance product such "coating friendly soaps" or "boosters". The coating should be able to hold its own as a stand alone product. But, quick detailers, spray waxes and drying aides certainly add benefit to the drying step of the wash process.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:11 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David Fermani
But, quick detailers, spray waxes and drying aides certainly add benefit to the drying step of the wash process.
they really do, coated or not. I always recommend to use a quick detailer to aid the drying process. CQUARTZ recommends Reload, and that is a spray sealant that can be used as a stand alone product. Optium will recommend Optimum No Rinse.

They all have their sales tactics
Old 08-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David Fermani
Glad everything worked out for you NA430GTS!

Technically, a true coating shouldn't require/need a supplement protection product or any special maintenance product such "coating friendly soaps" or "boosters". The coating should be able to hold its own as a stand alone product. But, quick detailers, spray waxes and drying aides certainly add benefit to the drying step of the wash process.
Need is a funny word when it comes to automotive aesthetics. It's so relative to the context isn't it David? For instance, what car needs a special soap/shampoo to be clean? What wheels need a coating? For that matter, who needs paint protection film or even anything beyond a spray wax for on-going protection?

Need is 100% relative to what an owner is looking for. For an owner wanting to get the most out of their investment in a coating, they may actually need to take certain steps though. Everyone here knows coatings are not bulletproof. So where exactly does the "need" come in? The need is in proper care for someone wanting to get the most out of their investment in a coating and for some coatings, there absolutely is a difference in the shampoos being sold in big box stores, wholesale to volume businesses and the boutique products many use.

It's incredibly common for volume production soaps to contain excessive amounts of rich petroleum distillates to give the mirage of protection while also meet the general public's desire for a surface that beads water after use. While these products can provide these impressive illusions, the by-product is a surface substantially more prone to collecting contamination*. When a coated surface begins collecting these contaminants the subsequent effect is your coating structure now has a surface that is primed for additional build-up and it heads down a path of not performing as intended.

I have observed a number of coatings to require maintenance sprays or rinseless washes that artificially enhance the coatings in the same fashion(many rinseless washes feature polymers that behave the same way). They use petroleum distillates to create an oily membrane that fools the user into a belief that the coating is wonderful. Those same sprays can be used to create the same effect over uncoated paint all the same.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using maintenance sprays though. It just depends on the purpose of the spray. Is it there to give a false sense of coating performance or does the maintenance product perform a beneficial task for the coating?

My observation is that most quick detailer sprays are incredibly rich in petroleum distillates that artificially enhance slickness/gloss and also create a base for contaminants to bond with more easily. I am very selective in what products I advise my clients use on a coated car. I do prefer Modesta M2** for our coated cars because its role is not to create a layer that is long lasting by means of the same by-products that are predisposed to collecting contaminants. It's primary function is an easy to use and inexpensive per-application carnauba layer that is the first line of defense for an expensive coating. It is engineered to wear away and reject contaminant bonding.

Modesta M4 is another product we advise our clients use. It's primary role is as a micro-cleaner and conditioner. It will not leave oily residues that will promote contaminant bonding. As a matter of fact, it cleanses the coating in a way that no shampoo can. There is nothing like it for coatings.

Does one need a "coating friendly" shampoo? No. But for the ones who want to get the most out of their expensive coating it behooves them to do so.

On the maintenance spray side of things. It depends on the purpose of the spray. We offer coating solutions that start at 3 years and they go well beyond that. So yes, for owners who want to get the best performance out of their coating and ensure the longevity they signed up for, they should absolutely use the safe and proven products we advise them use. I also advise they not use products known to be rich in durable silicones because they absolutely will congest and look dingy faster.

I have to sit on the other side of your statement David.

Coatings are not maintenance-free; just like everything else in the world. They require a measure of ongoing care and reward proper care with a surface that looks better for longer. Washes that aren't so demanding is another earmark of a quality coating that is cared for properly. I am sure there are coatings that don't offer ongoing care products and in that case, sure, just wash and the owner should use whatever regular care products the installation facility suggest(as a general rule). But I could not imagine not taking advantage of a well-engineering maintenance product that enhances the experience a coating can offer. To me, that would be akin to saying, "nah, that's okay. I don't need 93 octane for my high-compression, forced induction engine. It gets by fine with 87 octane." Can it "get by"? Sure. The engine management system will retard timing and greatly limit performance to off-set that poor fuel choice. But isn't one missing the mark of getting the most out of their performance engine and compromising the longevity and good health of the engine by doing so? It makes more sense to follow the good practices outlined by the people who engineered car. The same can be said of a well produced maintenance line.

One other topic I would like to touch on is that of having silicone in a product does not in and of itself make it bad. It's the type and purpose that it serves that dictates it's status. Some silicone plays the role of artificially enhancing hydrophobicity and some is there as a lubricant to limit marring. Some play the role as a durable filler and some literally dries out without a trace.

*For anyone unfamiliar with this term: Anything that bonds to a surface that is not naturally present is what I am speaking of when using the term contamination. For instance, contamination is what you remove with clay bar.
**With full disclosure in mind: I am biased. I install and have a vested interest in Modesta. Too, I made the choice to only offer Modesta and did so after years of using and testing many products. In my opinion, it absolutely is the best at what it does. Still, I think it's important that anyone reading this hears this bit of information. -At it's core, this is not a Modesta-topic though. This is about care of any product but I use what use to illustrate the point.

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 08-03-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I can go 2 months and 4,000 miles between washes on my OptiCoat Pro car. No rain. I have used Kenotek and Adam's quick detailer with great results after each wash. I have my car redone every other year. First was 2014, again in 2015 and will be done again in October of this year. Car is flawless.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:52 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

@Detailed Design -I’m in South Florida and having front end ClearGuard Nano installed next week along with Modesta in full car. He gave me a brochure but I don’t see M2. I see BC-xx and he recommends BC-04 down here. Thoughts? Also doing wheels with same and something matte for the trim work. He said Porsche windshields seem to have a coating from factory that makes it Haley when they add ceramic. Suggestions?
Old 08-20-2017, 05:34 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wassy
@Detailed Design -I’m in South Florida and having front end ClearGuard Nano installed next week along with Modesta in full car. He gave me a brochure but I don’t see M2. I see BC-xx and he recommends BC-04 down here. Thoughts? Also doing wheels with same and something matte for the trim work. He said Porsche windshields seem to have a coating from factory that makes it Haley when they add ceramic. Suggestions?
M2 is a maintenance spray in a bottle that you have to buy separately to keep up with the coating. BC-04 is the coating itself that he will apply to your vehicle.

here is a link to buy it or you can get it from your installer http://autonuvo.com/product/modesta-m2-blast/
Old 08-20-2017, 05:37 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro / nano coating - How do you wash?