Notices

Michigan Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:07 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
That's exactly why I was hoping for video. These are the laps I'm missing. If we're both at the track next spring/summer/fall feel free to grab your helmet and jump in the passenger seat .

That's pretty fast allright, I think my best is 1:31 or 2, I overbrake on Turn 1 and after the jump, usually too chicken to really plant my right foot. Hats off to ya! It's such a great track.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:57 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
That's why I won't do 3 ***** anymore. I saw so many cars basically blow up and scatter crap on the track in a few sessions with them, I won't go back.

I'm in SE Michigan too, if you like tracks join the RSR PCA group. It's a splitoff from the Southeast Michigan PCA and we run many events every year at Grattan, Waterford Hills, and sometimes Gingerman. Great group, safety conscious but very quick if you want to push yourself.

I had heard the same thing as you about M1, I've seen the track but haven't driven it even though it's 10 minutes from me in Bloomfield Hills.

If you guys do a drive somewhere fun, let me know too. I'm the guy with the green Cayman R or the red Boxster depending on the weather.
I'll look into the RSR PCA group. I have pretty much let my SEM PCA membership lapse as I saw no benefit from it nor had any desire to deal with their weekday track days always at Waterford Hills. Waterford is short and boring, but they did just repave the entire track so I might have to give it a shot just to test it.

We will definitely plan more fun drives next year. The one we did organize was small, but fun. I actually prefer smaller groups as it's easier to stick together and if we do stop for a bite to eat we're likely to find a table!

Originally Posted by ttt123
Looks good. I love green! Did you paint it or just wrap it?

Originally Posted by andy7777
That's pretty fast allright, I think my best is 1:31 or 2, I overbrake on Turn 1 and after the jump, usually too chicken to really plant my right foot. Hats off to ya! It's such a great track.
Turn 1 I'm braking right about at the end of the guard rail on the inside of the track and slowing from 135mph to probably 70mph (need to check the data) before starting to dial in the steering. I usually drag the brakes into the corner to keep the weight stable and by the apex I'm down around 55mph. You can start your turn much earlier than most realize because the corner is so wide. People go deep and square it off, but you don't need to. As for the jump, I'm usually on the brakes afterward (once brakes and tires are warm), but then it's a balance to get into the corner. I setup wide left and actually come across the jump at an angle toward the next apex so I can hit the brakes late and not have as much work to do to get the car into the next corner. Usually the back end is swinging a bit which helps get it to rotate, but it's easy to go too far.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:14 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

I did a lot of stuff to since the last cruise. steel wide body, elephant racing control arm bushings, eps frt/rr trailing arms, new exhaust, side skirts, roof scoop, frt/rr new bumpers, reupholstered the interior to match the green paint and the green paint. made the parts my self for the body work and painted it in my garage. its a blast to drive ... handling is out of this world. I'm installing a lightweight flywheel, light weight crank pulley, poly trans mounts and few other things right now.

This is my build. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...wide-body.html

If you cant tell... I'm excited about it lol i'll surely be up for more drives next summer, that was a lot of fun.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:43 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Holy crap! I thought it was just paint. That's a lot of work...a lot of really nice work. Good job!

My one comment: If those "racing" belts aren't DOT certified I wouldn't use them on the street. Racing belts are stiffer than normal street belts due to the amount of force they generally react to in the event of a racing incident. Unless you are wearing a helmet and HANS device a 35mph collision with racing harnesses can kill you. No flex in the belts to reduce g-forces on your head and neck. You can stretch your neck and sever your spinal column.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:18 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Holy crap! I thought it was just paint. That's a lot of work...a lot of really nice work. Good job!
Ha Ha .. thanks for making my day lol I'm so proud of it. After all the cool cars I've had ... this one is unbelievable for how much attention it gets. I did the same thing to my corvette 3 years ago and barely got a "nice car" from anyone lol this one .. I have people come up to me and ask if they can take selfies, chase me down the road to the stop light to ask me about it .. etc. so fun.

Wait till you see 3.8sc swapped fiero I'm doing right now it will be joining us on the drives if we do some next summer and its gonna be sweet.. oh and fast lol

did not know that about the belts. I can look for an alterative. thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 08:48 PM
Scooby921
Racer

If you want to use a 4 point belt setup look at the Schroth Rallye series of harnesses. They are DOT approved. I used a Rallye 4 in my '05 WRX after installing a Sparco Evo and still using the car as a daily driver. Unfortunately they are NOT compatible with HANS devices should you choose to go to the race track and use a restraint. But not all track day groups require restraints, so you're good there.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:19 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

I did a lot of stuff to since the last cruise. steel wide body, elephant racing control arm bushings, eps frt/rr trailing arms, new exhaust, side skirts, roof scoop, frt/rr new bumpers, reupholstered the interior to match the green paint and the green paint. made the parts my self for the body work and painted it in my garage. its a blast to drive ... handling is out of this world. I'm installing a lightweight flywheel, light weight crank pulley, poly trans mounts and few other things right now.

This is my build. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...wide-body.html

If you cant tell... I'm excited about it lol i'll surely be up for more drives next summer, that was a lot of fun.
Wow, I have been following the build and all I can say is "WOW", looks amazing. Also, the performance mods are spot on! Looking forward to the '19 track time and possible country drives.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

If you want to use a 4 point belt setup look at the Schroth Rallye series of harnesses. They are DOT approved. I used a Rallye 4 in my '05 WRX after installing a Sparco Evo and still using the car as a daily driver. Unfortunately they are NOT compatible with HANS devices should you choose to go to the race track and use a restraint. But not all track day groups require restraints, so you're good there.
I will check them out. I bought a lot of stuff from "sick speed" because they had a ton of stuff that had the exact same green as the paint. I'm still looking for some more green stuff but I will check out the belts.

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Wow, I have been following the build and all I can say is "WOW", looks amazing. Also, the performance mods are spot on! Looking forward to the '19 track time and possible country drives.
thanks. out of all the cars I've redone this one has me the proudest.

It looks like you have a lot of the same mods I did. I just ordered the IPD two nights ago... how much of a change did you feel with it? between the suspension mods, exhaust, lightweight flywheel, lightweight crank and the new mounts... I'm really hoping to see a new snap in the pants when I get it back on the road in the spring. The owner of the Porsche I'm painting right now said he put the IPD on his 911 and said it was the biggest gains/improvement he felt out of all the mods he did and gave it a major thumbs up.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Scooby921
Racer

I will check them out. I bought a lot of stuff from "sick speed" because they had a ton of stuff that had the exact same green as the paint. I'm still looking for some more green stuff but I will check out the belts.
As much as I love green I think it is possible to go too far. Black belts won't look bad with the green and black seats .
Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

As much as I love green I think it is possible to go too far. Black belts won't look bad with the green and black seats .
agree, I thought it out before I started and i do have a cut off point for the green. I dont want it to look like a teenager owns... although ill admit I’m probably getting close lol
Old 11-30-2018, 03:18 PM
Scooby921
Racer

From an outside view, yes . You could probably get away with powder coating the wheels green, but I think they'd look better in your early plan of black...if you still plan on changing them.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:38 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

From an outside view, yes . You could probably get away with powder coating the wheels green, but I think they'd look better in your early plan of black...if you still plan on changing them.

yes wheels are getting the black treatment with some very quiet candy green accents
Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

It looks like you have a lot of the same mods I did. I just ordered the IPD two nights ago... how much of a change did you feel with it? between the suspension mods, exhaust, lightweight flywheel, lightweight crank and the new mounts... I'm really hoping to see a new snap in the pants when I get it back on the road in the spring. The owner of the Porsche I'm painting right now said he put the IPD on his 911 and said it was the biggest gains/improvement he felt out of all the mods he did and gave it a major thumbs up.
Yes, hard to tell for me due to my "too many changes" methodology. I changed the following at the same time: Fabspeed smooth intake pipe, ipd, and engine tune (Tuning Tech). I did not get it done with a dyno before and after, so I do not have real data. My personal opinion of the 3 mods is about a B+ grade. Very smooth throttle response all the way through the rev range, good kick in the pants after shifting down to about 3500 rpm (track downshift range). You are welcome to drive it anytime (in or near Ypsilanti) to confirm the impact. From my info, the 3.4L cable throttle IPD impact is small. If you can do the TB at the same time, there are more gains with that combo.

At this point, I plan on buying an APR tune and having it done at a shop with a dyno (still looking for one that can do both). Will report back once I find one.

Biggest impact for me was the exhaust mods: ported oem manifolds, catless x-pipe, BB mufflers. Great kick in the pants and sound!!!!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=ttt123;15464965] The owner of the Porsche I'm painting right now /QUOTE]

Are you painting cars as a main business or side business? If you are interested, pm me with details if you can or can recommend someone who you trust to paint 911s. I need my front clip done at some point soon. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:41 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Yes, hard to tell for me due to my "too many changes" methodology. I changed the following at the same time: Fabspeed smooth intake pipe, ipd, and engine tune (Tuning Tech). I did not get it done with a dyno before and after, so I do not have real data. My personal opinion of the 3 mods is about a B+ grade. Very smooth throttle response all the way through the rev range, good kick in the pants after shifting down to about 3500 rpm (track downshift range). You are welcome to drive it anytime (in or near Ypsilanti) to confirm the impact. From my info, the 3.4L cable throttle IPD impact is small. If you can do the TB at the same time, there are more gains with that combo.

At this point, I plan on buying an APR tune and having it done at a shop with a dyno (still looking for one that can do both). Will report back once I find one.

Biggest impact for me was the exhaust mods: ported oem manifolds, catless x-pipe, BB mufflers. Great kick in the pants and sound!!!!
i have the fab speed intake, fab speed headers and i made my exhaust(see thread).. very free flowing and the sound is out of this world. I had a tune done by steve from fab speed but im pretty sure it didnt take and he was not fun to deal with. With mine being a 99 i cant find anyone in the nation who will check or do a tune for me. I have called so many porsche shops for it . If you know anyone in your neck of the woods, please share lol With the mods done i would think a real tune would be a nice bonus. I have gone side by side with some stock 911’s and i pull away quite easily nicely.

didnt know i could swap to TB. Ill have to search for some info on it.

Last edited by ttt123; 12-01-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Michigan Social Thread