Notices

Michigan Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 PM
nsxnick
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan Social Thread

Hi Guys. I'm an active member over on nsxprime but seeing as how I have 2 Porsches and only 1 NSX, I guess I should be hanging out more over here.

How is the Porsche social scene in MI? Do you guys get together regularly?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I guess the number of responses helps answer that question. :-)

I moved to Michigan pretty recently. Still trying to find the right roads to drive here (Northville area)....
Old 04-21-2017, 11:01 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

I moved to Michigan pretty recently. Still trying to find the right roads to drive here (Northville area)....
if you find a decent road let me know i have yet to find one
Old 05-14-2017, 02:24 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Found one.

7 mile heading west of Beck is actually pretty nice... staying on it is a 12 mile drive or so and most is with a 50 or 55 limit with some decent twists and turns. It isnt spectacular but it isnt half bad either....
Old 07-20-2017, 11:28 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

I live north of oxford and if you guys head out my way, theirs all kinds of fun roads. very fun road to drive is Rochester road just south of Dryden. lots of twists, pretty scenery and good restaurant at the y in the road by the lake. up in the thumb is always a nice drive as well. I have a boxster and a 911 and my brothers, my self and couple friends get together every few weeks for a short cruise together usually meet in lapeer or imlay city. your more then welcome to come join us. usually a vette or two, bmw 325is, beefed firebird, my Porsche and who ever else we can get to ride along with us woodward is a riot as well on Friday and Saturday nights.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey all, I finally joined. I'm in Clarkston / Independence Twp. I've had my 981 GTS for nearly 2 years now (Dec. 2015), but hadn't bothered to join Rennlist before now. I've seen plenty of Porsche's in my area, especially when out for a Saturday or Sunday morning drive...991 C4 GTS, a pair of 981 GT4's, 991 Cab, and a few 996 Turbos. I met the owner of the 991 C4 GTS at a Porsche driving experience event at M1 last year, but haven't met any others.

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

If you're in Northville and want some fun roads head west to Unadilla Twp. There is a Marathon gas station at N. Territorial and Stofer/Hadley. Head north on Hadley through Unadilla (becomes Unadilla Rd.). Turn right at Doyle Rd (becomes Patterson Lake and runs through Hell). Head south on D32 / Dexter-Pinckney Rd until you come back to N. Territorial. Head back toward the Marathon gas station, but turn right and head north on Hankerd Rd before you get there. This will run you back up to Patterson Lake Rd where you can turn left and back-track to Unadilla Rd and come back down to the gas station. It's a bit of a drive to get out there, but it's fun. That loop should be 45 minutes at the speed limits...obviously shorter when having a little fun.

You might also see various OEM's in camo vehicles out there. It's one of the ride and handling loops Ford and GM use. I think it's also one of the test loops Car & Driver uses.

Originally Posted by ttt123
I live north of oxford and if you guys head out my way, theirs all kinds of fun roads. very fun road to drive is Rochester road just south of Dryden. lots of twists, pretty scenery and good restaurant at the y in the road by the lake. up in the thumb is always a nice drive as well. I have a boxster and a 911 and my brothers, my self and couple friends get together every few weeks for a short cruise together usually meet in lapeer or imlay city. your more then welcome to come join us. usually a vette or two, bmw 325is, beefed firebird, my Porsche and who ever else we can get to ride along with us woodward is a riot as well on Friday and Saturday nights.
My standard weekend route starts near my house at Dixie Hwy and White Lake Rd. I head south on Dixie to Maybee, east across to Clintonville and hop up and back to Maybee and go all the way across to Baldwin. Up Baldwin to Clarkston Rd. West on Clarkston Rd through the "tail of the puppy" (Clarkston between Eston and Clintonville...twisty, but significantly shorter than the dragon). I follow Clarkston Rd all the way into Clarkston and go north 1 block on M15 to Miller Rd and cut through the neighborhood to Holcomb. Holcomb north leads out of town and I turn left at Davisburg Rd and head west to Andersonville Rd. I take that southeast all the way back to Dixie Hwy. If I'm out for a drive on a Saturday morning I try to stop in at Great Harvest at Baldwin / Clarkston and pick up a loaf of bread so I can make french toast for breakfast when I get back home. These are usually 7am drives before the roads get busy, and I go counter-clockwise on my route so the sun is at my back when I head through the fun twisty parts on Clarkston Rd.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

ya I drive baldwin everyday to work. nice ride now that they redid it. Be careful on the long straight by the bridge easy to get a ticket there... or impeding traffic as he told me lol

If you ever feel like a group cruise let me know and i'll see who all I can scrounge up
Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 AM
tekkie
Pro

if you guys arrange anything I maybe in, I live in Clarkston as well although looking at moving to ortonville shortly
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tekkie
if you guys arrange anything I maybe in, I live in Clarkston as well although looking at moving to ortonville shortly

I'm always up for a cruise. early Saturday b-fast and a nice cruise makes for a great weekend.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Scooby921
Racer

ya I drive baldwin everyday to work. nice ride now that they redid it. Be careful on the long straight by the bridge easy to get a ticket there... or impeding traffic as he told me lol

If you ever feel like a group cruise let me know and i'll see who all I can scrounge up
I save my high speed sprint for Andersonville Rd where it splits from Big Lake Rd. heading southeast. Speed limit through the small "town" of Andersonville there is 35mph, so it's wonderful to punch it and claw out of the corner and run it up through 3rd and 4th gear before hauling it down to something resembling the speed limit.

Originally Posted by tekkie
I'm always up for a cruise. early Saturday b-fast and a nice cruise makes for a great weekend.
Current weather estimate says little to no chance of rain and glorious window-down mid-60s for temps Saturday morning. I never go out for breakfast. At most I run to the grocery store in the AM and buy stuff to cook at home. The only place I've gone for breakfast in the 5 years I've lived here is Mel's Grill 2 at the Andersonville/White Lake/Nelsey intersection. Food was decent, but not stellar. Other options / suggestions?

Edit...hopefully this link actually works as a mapped drive.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.7...b30497!1m0!3e0
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Im pretty sure id be up for this and my brother. He has a very high end custom z4 and he was telling me how was thinking about selling it because he never gets to enjoy it... problem solved lol im an early bird and would be perfectly happy getting an early b-fast and cruise after if you guys are or anyone else who might be reading this. We usually have another friend who drives a pretty clean c5 vette who would probably come.

I got my boxster about 3 years ago and have been looking to get a monthly/periodic cruise going with some local car enthuisiast for a while now. I just picked up this 996 cerrera a few months ago and now id love to get something like this going even more lol. This would be a fun time.

So again im in for this weekend and if anyone else wants to join im game
Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Scooby921
Racer

I think Sunday is going to work better for me. I forgot that on dry Saturday mornings I join my uncle for a mountain bike ride at 9am.

Regarding breakfast I'm open to grabbing something early or stopping during the drive. The proposed route takes us through Holly. Bittersweet Cafe in Holly opens at 8:30am. If we start the drive from Great Harvest at Clarkston and Baldwin roads it'll take just about 30 minutes to get to Holly. Start at 8am, drive for 30 minutes, grab breakfast, drive for another hour. End at Great Harvest.

Slightly revised route to change the start / end points and add a few more twisty bends...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.7...df!1m0!1m0!3e0
Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 AM
tekkie
Pro

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I think Sunday is going to work better for me. I forgot that on dry Saturday mornings I join my uncle for a mountain bike ride at 9am.

Regarding breakfast I'm open to grabbing something early or stopping during the drive. The proposed route takes us through Holly. Bittersweet Cafe in Holly opens at 8:30am. If we start the drive from Great Harvest at Clarkston and Baldwin roads it'll take just about 30 minutes to get to Holly. Start at 8am, drive for 30 minutes, grab breakfast, drive for another hour. End at Great Harvest.

Slightly revised route to change the start / end points and add a few more twisty bends...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.7...df!1m0!1m0!3e0
count me in for sunday morning, what time do we meet ?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

i'll have to check on sunday. we go to church at 10:30 so need to check with wife and see if she will want to be ready for church before we leave for the cruise.

food, either way is fine by me.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:38 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

i'll check with the other guys as well. for me it would be two porsches, vette and bmw coming so far.

Quick Reply: Michigan Social Thread