Notices

Wrenching: who in Chicago doing their own?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Wrenching: who in Chicago doing their own?

Guys,

curious who in Chicago are also is into wrenching on their own Porsches

Here in Barrington myself and a friend do a fair amount on our P cars when time permits. With kids this has been scarce.

Sean
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I installed my suspension myself but living in a high rise means I needed to rent a lift. Minor stuff I can do in the shared garage but certainly not dropping an engine like that.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default Wrenching

I had that same problem when I lived in philly and went to Temple. Give it time, you'll figure out a strategy to do it.

Last year I freshened up the sc's motor and gearbox, and the gt3's gearbox. All over winter, unfortunately I paid the price working from the floor!! I installed the lift this spring, getting too old, sore for days on end after sliding around on the floor! Actually wife's idea, sharing it with my best friend, he has his garage prepped for it, it's pretty portable.

Always working on something around here, and wife looking for another classic for herself!

New garage in the plans, just too busy at this point to add to the plate this is definitely a working garage.
Attached Images     
Old 11-13-2016, 07:37 PM
s0ggyfish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love wrenching on my GT3. Started doing oil changes and worked my way up to changing spark plugs and pinning the coolant lines with the engine in the car. Would like to eventually be able to drop the engine and do a couple more things.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default Wrenching

Now we're getting some traction!

Originally Posted by s0ggyfish
Love wrenching on my GT3. Started doing oil changes and worked my way up to changing spark plugs and pinning the coolant lines with the engine in the car. Would like to eventually be able to drop the engine and do a couple more things.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 PM
cwilt

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm new to porsche but have always done whatever work I could. I'm very particular about the work on my cars so I want to start doing what I can. I just need to invest into some lift equipment that will get low enough to fit under her.

Gadsby... I'm in Island Lake not far from you. If you ever need an extra hand let me know. I will trade work for knowledge.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default Wrenching!

Cwilt,

always working on something, good to have 2 Picard to work on something! Working on friends full rebuild of 912 motor and freshening up a up a 2.7 in a 914 race car. Send me your contact info in a pm.

Will be at the cars and coffee Saturday in gt3.

Helped nick in Barrington this week learn how to check and adjust all his valves. They were all good but 1.

Originally Posted by cwilt
I'm new to porsche but have always done whatever work I could. I'm very particular about the work on my cars so I want to start doing what I can. I just need to invest into some lift equipment that will get low enough to fit under her.

Gadsby... I'm in Island Lake not far from you. If you ever need an extra hand let me know. I will trade work for knowledge.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm doing all my own maintenance and track prep. Of course, I fouled up the front seat mount threads the other day, so it's off to VFC for a quick fix before my first track weekend next week.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

You can use a roll form tap to straighten threads. If there bad you can chase with cut tap, it there real bad you may need insert. McMaster Carr is 1 day delivery by ups.

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I'm doing all my own maintenance and track prep. Of course, I fouled up the front seat mount threads the other day, so it's off to VFC for a quick fix before my first track weekend next week.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:28 PM
NikosF
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big thank you to Gadsby for the help on the valve adjust - learnt so many things along the way from availability of O2 sensor connectors, to how to move an AC compressor aside, to how to drill out locking wheel lugs.

If I can ever lend a set of (not very co-ordinated hands) let me know.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsby
You can use a roll form tap to straighten threads. If there bad you can chase with cut tap, it there real bad you may need insert. McMaster Carr is 1 day delivery by ups.
It was touch n go, but we were able to retap them.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I installed my suspension myself but living in a high rise means I needed to rent a lift. Minor stuff I can do in the shared garage but certainly not dropping an engine like that.
Where have you rented a lift at? Would be interested in this as some jobs need more than jack stands.

Quick Reply: Wrenching: who in Chicago doing their own?