Notices

Recommended Drives in Northern Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:07 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Recommended Drives in Northern Illinois

Does anyone have any recommended roads to drive in Northern Illinois (suburbs of Chicago) to take out their Porsche and enjoy its capabilities?

I'm always driving the same congested roads commuting with the masses. I'd love to get up early and find a winding stretch of road to take advantage of.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

We live in one of the worst major cities for driving enthusiasts. But it looks like you already know that.

Here are a few but for the most part, you'll need to head to Gelana, Southcentral Wisconsin or Indiana.

Skokie Lagoons, Forestway Dr.
Sheridan Rd in Winnetka
hwy 102 and 113 alongside the Kankakee River State Park
hwy 31 near Fox River Shores Forest Preserve
hwy 71 near Starved Rock

None of these are long or terribly exciting but they'll give you a quick fix. Starved Rock is actually a good run though.

It's slim pickings out there.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:30 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicago blows!! I'm considering selling my low end Porsche to buy a truck. Try northern Kentucky for the types of roads these cars were meant to be driven on
Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 AM
frompub2dub
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There is cuba road in barrington, its a nice quick drive. You could also take a 30 min trip up to WI and find Snake Road, its a really nice drive and its not crazy far from Chicago. If your really feeling adventurous take a sunday and head out to Galena IL. There are some really nice curvy stretches but the drive is about 3 hours or so.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Join the Chicago Region PCA and DE and/or Autocross.

Drive to New Glarus, WI. Get out a map. Look for the most curvy roads. There are hundreds of miles of great roads in that area alone. Some of the best are County Highways; "F", "G" and "A".

County Highway "K" out of Gratiot, WI is great, too.

Drive up the scenic river road from Galena, to Prairie Du Chien, and then continue to La Crosse, WI. Stay in La Crosse or drive over to Rochester, MN (another 80 nice miles west).
Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Spirited driving

LexVan is right on the money.

I'm in Barrington and we used to have great roads you could enjoy, before the police started cracking down on bicycles ( riding anything other than inline on narrow roads) and hence cracked down on spirited driving.

Kettle Moraine area in WI is a nice drive, I cut through that way when headed to Milwaukee.

As he stated PCA events or Laps inc events should provide plenty of opportunities to stretch your legs!

I drive the SC every day till Nov, and its quite enjoyable. Now days the GT3 stays ready to go to the track. It's painful to drive the GT3 so slow around the Chicago area.

Laps inc. has a full track event at Autobahn on Monday a couple of us are attending! Look it up.

Cheers

Originally Posted by LexVan

Drive to New Glarus, WI. Get out a map. Look for the most curvy roads. There are hundreds of miles of great roads in that area alone. Some of the best are County Highways; "F", "G" and "A".

Drive up the scenic river road from Galena, to Prairie Du Chien, and then continue to La Crosse, WI. Stay in La Crosse or drive over to Rochester, MN (another 80 nice miles west).
Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

This... all of this. Keep New Glarus on the DL though. We don't want all the yahoos in BMWs finding out.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wave to all the farmers. They wave back.

Wave to all the Amish. They don't wave back. They want to. But they can't. The young kids do smile.

Watch for deer.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:12 AM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

"Stagecoach Trail" - Far northwestern Illinois:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/il_st.html
Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two Units of the Kettle Moraine, North and South.
The North as the name implies is North of Milwaukee and of the two has the best and most (miles) of scenic routes. I inadvertantly programmed my 991.2 Nav when new to go between Fond Du Lac and Plymouth with the local option and it was quite enjoyable.
Be sure to get a burger or brat at Chester's in Plymouth(summer only, bring cash).
The Southern Unit is best accessed by either I-94 to HWY 20 or go up HWY 12 (Rand Road) to access. The Wisconsin DNR provides extensive on-line maps and explanations of the Units and Trails. You will have to pay a Trail fee.
Be sure to stop and hike one of the 'Hiking Only' trails as the others are either full of Mountain Bikes or XC skiers depending on the season.
If you do speed, you will injure or kill a biker as these roads are heavily used.
There is a very nice restaurant in Eagle in the Southern Unit.
And as LexVan Posts, "Join the Chicago Region PCA and DE and/or Autocross."
Chicago PCA does a superb job and I have yet to see anyone get a ticket at a DE or Autocross!
Chicago PCA also does some very nice Rally's and picks some very nice scenic routes.
-Richard
Old 06-24-2017, 08:35 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently found route 2 from Rockford to Sterling. It runs along the Rock River for about 30 miles and is one of the few roads in Illinois that I have found with turns and elevation changes.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
I recently found route 2 from Rockford to Sterling. It runs along the Rock River for about 30 miles and is one of the few roads in Illinois that I have found with turns and elevation changes.
This looks like a great road. Gotta try it one day.

Another great road is Derinda Rd, by Elizabeth IL (take it South from Hwy 20 all the way to Savannah.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 AM
dumb_ass
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All these routes just in time for long weekend! You guys are great!

Quick Reply: Recommended Drives in Northern Illinois