Notices

Chicago independents with PIWIS, PST2, Autologic, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:05 PM
autochicago
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Chicago independents with PIWIS, PST2, Autologic, etc?

Hi there, I need to reprogram a key for my 997. Anyone on here in Chicago that knows of any independents in Chicago that have PIWIS, PST2, Autologic, etc?

I am simply trying to get a key programmed with the IPAS codes and I have not found anyone competent in Chicago.

I called Wizard Werks downtown and it was clear within 15 seconds they had no clue. Definitely won't go anywhere near that place.

Then played phone tag with Midwest Performance cars, also near downtown, and although they seem to have proper equipment, also eiither didn't know or weren't willing. Lost my business, period.

Anyone know of anyone else or have a buddy with equipment?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:05 AM
873/1960
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd maybe give Midwest Performance Cars a second chance? I had a bad phone experience with them a few years ago that turned me off to them, even though they were just down the street from me. A year or so later I went in and found them to be super nice people in person (and subsequent phone conversations). They are a really great shop that services a LOT of Porsches. I had an issue with a 3rd party warranty that necessitated a bunch of extra back and forth with multiple parties, and they were extremely helpful. I'm in no way affiliated with them (nor do I even know them that well), but I really like them as people and the shop they run.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by autochicago
Hi there, I need to reprogram a key for my 997. Anyone on here in Chicago that knows of any independents in Chicago that have PIWIS, PST2, Autologic, etc?

I am simply trying to get a key programmed with the IPAS codes and I have not found anyone competent in Chicago.

I called Wizard Werks downtown and it was clear within 15 seconds they had no clue. Definitely won't go anywhere near that place.

Then played phone tag with Midwest Performance cars, also near downtown, and although they seem to have proper equipment, also eiither didn't know or weren't willing. Lost my business, period.

Anyone know of anyone else or have a buddy with equipment?
Agree with Wizard Works though they were helpful when I just dropped by.

MPC is useless for anything outside of general maintenance. And I can confirm they suck on the phone. The receptionist isn't a tech and usually doesn't know anything outside of what their schedule looks like. They can't do suspension work. They can't do major body work or body coachwork. They are a glorified Midas. Their techs are experienced and know the performance car market pretty well. They can talk the talk but they are handicapped. They simply do not have the space nor equipment to do anything outside of regular maintenance, brake and some engine work. They don't even have an alignment rack (?!?!). I tried to go their twice for some simple work and they couldn't do it. Worthless. Look up G Design in Elmhurst. (331) 225-3650 Joey knows his pcars inside and out. Forewarned he comes off as indifferent at first. He does trackside assistance and track prep for a lot of 911s around Chicagoland. Good luck and report back if you find others or your experience differs from mine!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay. Continuing my Midwest Performance Car rant.

This morning, I dropped off a wheel with a mounted tire and a nail in the center of the tread to get a patch at MPC. I probably drove with the nail in that tire for a thousand miles until I recently removed them to mount track tires and inspected them. I could have plugged it but wanted a patch. I figured MPC could handle this and might take care to not ding up my wheels when taking off the tire over Midas or a random shop downtown (my first mistake).

I called Monday to set an appointment. Friday at 7:30 is all they've got. That's fine. I just needed them for Saturday of this week. I ask for an estimate. Tech doesn't know. How could they not? Anyway, I ask for a call back for an estimate. Don't get one. I call back Wed asking the same thing. Doesn't know and will call me back. Doesn't call back again. I call this morning before dropping it off for a price. "oh yeah sorry. our tech says $70" Seventy bucks for a tire patch?!? I call three other local shops and none have time to do it today. I drop it off regardless since it had to be done. The price is outrageous but I'm in a bind since I need it the next day (tomorrow) so I bite the $30-$40 overcharge and agree to pick it up at 4:30.

At 4:30, I roll in, head to the counter, check the wheel and they PLUGGED it. They didn't even patch it. I look at Chris who I had been talking to for this whole ordeal, tell him it was supposed to be a patch, he agrees and says he's sorry. That's it. Nothing else. Doesn't try to rectify the situation or anything. Just, sorry.

I tell them I'm not paying for it (also other words), pack it in the wheel carrier and leave.

So let's recap:

They can't do 'performance' jobs on cars nor body work nor paint.
They are egregiously expensive.
Their servicemen are incompetent.

They fail at all three biz categories: price, product, performance.
The only reason I gather they are still in business is location and people with more money than brains going to their shop.

Hallelujah Where's the Tylenol
Old 12-15-2015, 02:48 AM
993Targaman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive heard Midwestern is good, I plan to service my new 993 there, although I live down the street from the Porsche Exchange they have always been very good to me.

Quick Reply: Chicago independents with PIWIS, PST2, Autologic, etc?