Chicago-Detroit w new Pcar - dinner sugg. pls

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Chicago-Detroit w new Pcar - dinner sugg. pls

Hi folks,

New here. In 1 week I'll be flying to Chicago from Detroit (I live about 3hrs east of Detroit / 1hr west of Toronto) to pick up my 1st Pcar. Getting a 2001 Boxster S.

According to maps.google.com the drive from Chicago to Detroit is 4.5hrs by interstate.

I've got a GPS (old school Streetpilot 2610) that I will be taking with me.

Oh yah, my wife - who gave me permission to get a 2 seater convertible, despite us having a 3yr old and 6 yr old at home - is coming with me. I'd like to take some secondary roads if it's worth while (scenic, etc), and stop somewhere nice for dinner, and maybe stay at a B&B for the night.

Any suggestions for:
- nice roads
- moderate / little more than moderate priced restaurant
- moderate priced accomodations
- somewhere between 2-3 hrs EAST of Chicago.

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited by petee_c; 05-28-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: had massive brain fart... Heading EAST back to Detroit....
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM
mschnitger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resturant

Schulers in Marshall, MI just south of 1-94 at 1-94 and 1-69.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM
a 911 Widebody
Intermediate

Where you headed? If your 2-3 hr west of chicago that puts you near of on the IL- IA state line if so there are some good twistys coming back HWY 64 through Savanna, Mt Morries, Genoa,Byron area. There is a state park in Oregon IL called White pines with a nice little restaurant and has come Cute little cabins to stay in (http://www.whitepinesinn.com). that puts you about 5-6 hr from Detroit. .... I should not help you do the hawks wings thing...lol. E-mail me if you like more info. MikeSW214@comcast.net
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

hoping to pick up the car around 1pm on Friday afternoon - Jo Rizza Porsche in Orland Park, and then take a leisurely drive back to Detroit to cross back into Canada at the Detroit Windsor border.

Figure on doing a few hours driving on Friday afternoon, and then stopping for dinner and the night somewhere in Michigan....
Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM
a 911 Widebody
Intermediate

Ok Orland park is south of the city. If you hit rush hr then it will be 2-3 hrs lol. Not much in IL for good roads down there. If your flying in use Midway -closer to where your going. If your driving, get out by 3:00pm to beat the traffic. Good luck with your purchase. don't forget to post pic's!

Quick Reply: Chicago-Detroit w new Pcar - dinner sugg. pls