Notices

Front plates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Front plates?

Do you display the front plates? Suggestions?

I'm a new Porsche owner...dealer did not install front plates, his claim was "never been stopped for lack of front plate" . Apparently Corvette's do't display the front plates either.

Wisconsin law is both plates, can receive 10-day fix it tickets, or even immediate citations. Front plate up on dash does not suffice.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:04 AM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Texas requires both plates but I've never had a front plate on my Mustang and have never been stopped. I think the LEO's ignore it unless they want to take a closer look at you or your vehicle for some reason.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:52 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in Texas as well. Having been pulled over in California (in a Mustang!) several years ago because I had slowed down before the CHP had clocked me, so they pulled up and slowly drove past me and looked for ways to pull me over. The lack of plates was it!

I decided to stop playing that game of "it won't happen to me" and started running front plates. My 996 has a US Mill Works tow-hook mount and it's a pretty good compromise http://usmillworks.com/porsche_front..._tow_hook.html
Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM
ZX1100
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello, I'm in the burbs of Chicago and don't run the front plates on my cars unless it's a daily driver. So far haven't been pulled over for it. Been pulled over for something else but the officer didn't mention it, I got lucky I guess.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

6 cars and none with a front plate in Texas. I get a ticket probably once every 3-5 years. They've always been 'fix it' tickets - take a photo of your car with the plate mounted, send it in, and the court will dismiss the ticket. Easy.

No front plate is probably cause in Texas to search a car. Since I'm never doing anything wrong other than speeding occasionally, it's not a big deal and I'm on my way 10 minutes without the car being searched.

Quick Reply: Front plates?