Notices

Help with e92 M3

Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Help with e92 M3

My cousin picked up a 2010 e92 M3 6MT that he wants to track and keep streetable. I told him I'd help him and direct him to some race shops that work on BMWs in the north Chicago burbs. He knows nothing about german cars (was all US muscle before) and I know little about bimmers.

I tried to check bimmerforum but hayzoos it's run by children. Lots of fragile egos over there. The threads were a mess of insults and 'kill stories'.

So two things:
1) What are a couple of good tuning shops for an e92 M3 platform in the N or NW burbs? Does Fischer do BMWs?

2) What are the first mods for an e92 that must be done?
I hear brake upgrades and cooling are essential but don't know manufacturers or parts.

Any help at all would be great as we look into this over the next month or so.

I'll take links too. Not asking people to do the research for us. Just point us in the right direction.

TIA
Old 02-07-2018, 03:08 AM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find anything? I'm considering getting an e90/e92 M3and have just started doing some research. Seems like brakes are not up to track duty. Throttle actuators every 40K and rod bearings as preventative maintenance, maybe. Do agree that the bimmer forums are a bit tough to read. Here's some things I've found

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...oull-ever-see/

And this, good grief

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Great info thank you. Funny i get better responses about BMW questions on a pcar forum than I do on a bimmer forum.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:20 PM
mrjonger
Pro

I found your post after spending a few minutes on the bimmer forums and then coming to RL in hopes that someone had done research on the E9x models. Reading the bimmer forums is like reading the comments section of a controversial internet article.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:16 PM
samo6556
Intermediate

As someone else had stated. Big thing to do is rod bearings. Would be the preventative thing I’d do first (be bearings is the brand).

https://www.bebearings.com/

if he is going to be serious about tracking upgrading the brakes would be a nice piece of mind with a heavier car. Not sure if he has any experience with tracking but a quicker driver might desire a bbk. In my personal opinion I always like to upgrade my brakes and suspension first. That is just based off my preference to have a solid feeling car. Planted in the turns, minimal body roll.

I actually just just picked up an e92 with many track mods.

I would recommend he talks to Alex at performance eurowerks in buffalo grove.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:23 PM
samo6556
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nwGTS
My cousin picked up a 2010 e92 M3 6MT that he wants to track and keep streetable. I told him I'd help him and direct him to some race shops that work on BMWs in the north Chicago burbs. He knows nothing about german cars (was all US muscle before) and I know little about bimmers.

I tried to check bimmerforum but hayzoos it's run by children. Lots of fragile egos over there. The threads were a mess of insults and 'kill stories'.

So two things:
1) What are a couple of good tuning shops for an e92 M3 platform in the N or NW burbs? Does Fischer do BMWs?

2) What are the first mods for an e92 that must be done?
I hear brake upgrades and cooling are essential but don't know manufacturers or parts.

Any help at all would be great as we look into this over the next month or so.

I'll take links too. Not asking people to do the research for us. Just point us in the right direction.

TIA
Also for brakes I have had great experience with performance friction bbk. Uses HUGE 28mm pads. Pedal feel is always solid. Has no issues with pad knockback when the pad pushes the piston back in the caliper causing the brake pedal to be soft or lack pressure. Knockback happens with the hub/knuckle flexes and is a normal thing. Just some brake set ups do not do as good of a job and helping stop the knockback.

Suspension wise if your looking to go all out with a nice set up. Something like motons,jrz,motion control, or ohlins. Myself I just picked up some moton clubsports.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with e92 M3