Sponsored By:

Porsche Cayenne 958 not seeing connected iPhone correctly anymore

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne 958 not seeing connected iPhone correctly anymore

I have a old iPhone 4s that I use just for music on the Cayenne. On iOS 8 it worked perfectly, I could get in the Porsche, start the vehicle and iPod would appear on the display and it start playing every time.

I mistakenly updated to iOS 9 and now it doesn't work. For the Cayenne to see the iPhone I have to wake up the iphone, exit out of Music and then start Music again on the iPhone. Only then will it see the iPhone. I have to do this every time I drive the vehicle which is beyond annoying.

Nano seems to work fine still, but I liked the iPhone because I could wirelessly transfer songs to it from inside the house.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:04 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
I have a old iPhone 4s that I use just for music on the Cayenne. On iOS 8 it worked perfectly, I could get in the Porsche, start the vehicle and iPod would appear on the display and it start playing every time.

I mistakenly updated to iOS 9 and now it doesn't work. For the Cayenne to see the iPhone I have to wake up the iphone, exit out of Music and then start Music again on the iPhone. Only then will it see the iPhone. I have to do this every time I drive the vehicle which is beyond annoying.

Nano seems to work fine still, but I liked the iPhone because I could wirelessly transfer songs to it from inside the house.

Any suggestions?
I think I found a solution. The 958 has been out since 2011 so it's stereo was designed to support iPhones of 2011 and before with operating systems from 2011 and before. Apple may have changed the OS since 2011 (you think?) so the latest OS does not work properly with Porsche.

Solution is to find a iPhone with OS that was around in 2010

I bought a iPhone 4 today. Released in 2010, the latest OS it can upgrade to is iOS 7 released in 2013. Since iOS 8 worked great in the Porsche I'm hoping iOS 7 will work fine also

And i never had to worry about updating again since the 4 can't be updated past iOS 7

iPhone 3GS would probably work too, it's last iOS was 6. Best part about this is old iPhones are dirt cheap because they can not run the latest apps people have no use for a 5+ year old iphone
Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

I guess if you got the iPhone 4 for cheeeeeapO,... then sure...

But I had the same problem in my 2012 CTT, when I upgraded my iPhone to 9.

I just decided to build a 8GB memory stick as MP3, and it works awesome. Thousands of songs (thanks to my daughter & soundcloud). Now I never have to plug my phone in when I get in/out of the car. PLUS, it has all the same PlayLists, etc,... so I can navigate all my music right from the PCM.

Glad you got it worked out. Funny to see you reply to your own post, answer your own questions, and provide yourself with your own guidance. One man show!!

=Steve
Old 03-04-2016, 12:29 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I guess if you got the iPhone 4 for cheeeeeapO,... then sure...

But I had the same problem in my 2012 CTT, when I upgraded my iPhone to 9.

I just decided to build a 8GB memory stick as MP3, and it works awesome. Thousands of songs (thanks to my daughter & soundcloud). Now I never have to plug my phone in when I get in/out of the car. PLUS, it has all the same PlayLists, etc,... so I can navigate all my music right from the PCM.

Glad you got it worked out. Funny to see you reply to your own post, answer your own questions, and provide yourself with your own guidance. One man show!!

=Steve
Yeah, I thought myself out of the box this time, not always that lucky.

I did buy a iPhone 4 with iOS 7 for cheeeeeapO today, transferred everything over and it seems to be working much better than the 4s on iOS 9 did.

And, since it has wifi, I can still transfer music from the computer to the cayenne, so when I hear a good song I can say "Oh, I should put that in the car", and seconds later it's transferred to the car without leaving my desk

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne 958 not seeing connected iPhone correctly anymore