Vibration when breaking only between 30 and 40 miles/hr

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:30 AM
band99
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration when breaking only between 30 and 40 miles/hr

Hi,
I get this steering wheel vibration when breaking. It only happens when speed decreases to about 40 miles/hr and continues to about 30 miles/hr. After that it's smooth sailing.

No vibration when just cruising or accelerating, and no vibration below or above these speeds.

Any ideas?

Thanks

EDDIT: adding some more info

This is 2008 Cayenne S, 85k miles

Found this in the paperwork (previous owner, about 10k miles ago): Found front rotors warped, hot spots. Measured 1.325". Pads have lots of material left. Hook up, scan for codes. Found codes for camshaft position sensor bank 1 (P0016). Cleared codes.

Vibration is to the steering wheel and most noticeable under normal breaking. And when I say vibration, you certainly feel the wheel going left and right and it disappears when reaching 30

When breaking hard, I don't notice the vibration but this could be due to speed decreasing quickly.
When breaking lightly, the steering wheel vibrates slightly but isn't that noticeable.
When turning and breaking, it's not that noticeable either.

Last edited by band99; 12-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:48 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Hard to say with just what you provided...

What year/model?
How many miles on car/this set of pads & rotors?
Happen under hard braking, light braking, turning?
Where is the vibration? Chassis, steering wheel, pedal?

My guess without this information is that it it likely warped/fatigued rotors.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:42 AM
band99
Track Day

Good questions AO. This is 2008 Cayenne S, 85k miles

Found this in the paperwork (previous owner, about 10k miles ago): Found front rotors warped, hot spots. Measured 1.325". Pads have lots of material left. Hook up, scan for codes. Found codes for camshaft position sensor bank 1 (P0016). Cleared codes.

Vibration is to the steering wheel and most noticeable under normal breaking. And when I say vibration, you certainly feel the wheel going left and right and it disappears when reaching 30

When breaking hard, I don't notice the vibration but this could be due to speed decreasing quickly.
When breaking lightly, the steering wheel vibrates slightly but isn't that noticeable.
When turning and breaking, it's not that noticeable either.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Curious. Wonder what they did to resolve the problem? They probably tried to machine the defect out, and it was fine for a while, but now it's back.

On my '05 TT I was getting a noticeable pulsing/vibration. I took the wheel off to inspect the rotor, and I could feel the friction different on the rotor! New rotors made it all smooth!

Change your rotors, and you should be good.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:25 AM
Muhanad
Intermediate

had the same problem on a brand new 2016 cayenne gts started on 800k and took it to the dealer they said its fine after the break in (3000k) took it again they said there is no problem then again on 5000k they said change the brake pads i did and the vibrating disappeared for a while then back again on 6000k i took it to them and said this one is on you they changed the discs on warranty and the problem seems to have disappeared i hope its gone now and nothing too critical

hope the above helps

Quick Reply: Vibration when breaking only between 30 and 40 miles/hr