958 Cayenne DIY: Battery Compartment Access - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > DIYs and "How To" Archive > Cayenne DIY
Reload this Page > 958 Cayenne DIY: Battery Compartment Access

958 Cayenne DIY: Battery Compartment Access

Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM

I was very lucky the battery I was disconnecting was nearly flat, probably the only reason I didn't lose the finger. And yes, silicone rings are in fact a real thing, cheap too. I work at Amazon in the ICQA department at a Texas FC and I see them all the time.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:58 AM
New User

The seat won't move even If I connect cables. I've had cables connected for 2 hours, voltage was at 13.8v but still no power at all. Can't move the seat or do anything at all.

4th day in a row I have been trying to access the battery compartment and no luck....
Old 06-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Are you not getting power to anything else? Are no other accessories being powered? Because if that's the situation then you have some other electrical issue. Solve that first.

Does the other seat move? If so, then what's been done to this seat's wiring to keep it from providing power to it's motors?

I'd imagine the next step would be finding a way to get at the seat wiring and power it directly from another source.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 AM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I've seen pictures of the aftermath. Filed under "things you can't un-see, but REALLY wish you could". Ugh, it can get really BAD if that much amperage shorts out and heats up the metal in a ring. I've taken to just not wearing mine anymore, too many close calls with all kinds of different tools. I've heard there's such things as silicone wedding rings, but haven't gone that route.
I still have the scars from that 45 years ago.. gold is an excellent conductor, but it does get red hot when 100A is flowing through it. That was a Volvo alternator..
Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Rennlist Member

Oh - battery registration - is unnecessary and actually can't be done. Even Porsche can't do it. The slots in the software are there, but you can't write anything to them. The reason being - Porsche decided to set the charging rate to maximize fuel mileage. If you are NOT in Sport mode - charging is limited to about 13.7V. If you then press the Sport button (where fuel economy doesn't matter) - it goes up to about 1V higher.

So - no dealer I called ever did it - and I tried with 3 different Porsche specific OBD programs - and they couldn't do it. Forgeddaboutit as we would say in NJ..
Old 09-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting all of the detailed instructions. I just swapped my battery in 30 minutes because the instructions made it easy. The ALLDATA instructions were not nearly as helpful! My 958 experienced some electronic weirdness - rear wiper turned itself on and would not shut off and all of my radio presets and phone contacts were erased - this summer when I parked it outside overnight and the temps got down to the 30's. (Colorado).

My dealer told me that they would charge $750 for a new battery and installation. They knew that I would do it myself at that rate.... And they told me if I needed to have it programmed for the new battery, they would do it. I asked how they would do it if: 1. the battery was not Porsche branded and didn't have a serial number and 2. it is unknown that the car will accept the changes based on Don's comments. I didn't get an answer. "Just install the battery and let's see if there are any issues." Well, after one day, there are no issues.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 PM

Thank you for the write up. It made the job much easier.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 PM

Glad to find this thread. Never had an AGM battery in a car before so I'm not sure how different they behave from acid, if at all. My alt seems to be working hard often reading 14.9 while driving. At a stop the other day
the auto shutoff worked and I watched the ammeter drop tick tick tick down to 12.2v at which time the car started on its own. I'm fairly amazed that even in cold weather this thing starts no problem.

I mean I've had cars that wouldn't crank under 12.5 volts. With all the stuff on this car I know it needs lots of juice so again I'm amazed this hasn't stranded me.

Any one think I DON'T need a battery like right away?