Notices

955/957 Cayenne DIY: Battery Replacement Guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:40 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Our 2008 CS needs a new battery I think. It would not start or even crank this morning. Does the PCM 2.1 have radio codes? I have disconnected the battery few times before and it never asked for code.

I am thinking of getting the AGM battery ($180) from Oreilly Auto parts down the street from our house. The instructions in this thread will be very helpful.

Cheers,
-K
Old 09-20-2014, 06:39 PM
GDA
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

First - Thanks to the several contributors to this thread. It was the perfect reference for the proper battery replacement for my 2005 CTT. I was able to special order at the local Firestone the Interstate MTP 95R to replace the Interstate H8 from Oct 2009 that was in the vehicle.

To say this battery is more substantial is an understatement. It is significantly heavier (must have more plates) and cranks the engine with a turbine like spin up & whine. Very, very pleased I went with the larger battery and it fit right in. No issues.

I DIY'd the swap and it took about 40 minutes start to finish and that included vacuuming out under the seat while I was in there. Price was $207 for the battery here in Frisco, Tx.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Replaced my battery today with the Interstate MTP 95-R recommended earlier in this thread. The 95-R is an exact size replacement. Pretty sure I removed the original VARTA battery, but couldn't find a date code on it. Regardless, no worries about my new battery for several years now. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread; made the change out very straight forward and easy.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:06 AM
Borntovin
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GDA
First - Thanks to the several contributors to this thread. It was the perfect reference for the proper battery replacement for my 2005 CTT. I was able to special order at the local Firestone the Interstate MTP 95R to replace the Interstate H8 from Oct 2009 that was in the vehicle.

To say this battery is more substantial is an understatement. It is significantly heavier (must have more plates) and cranks the engine with a turbine like spin up & whine. Very, very pleased I went with the larger battery and it fit right in. No issues.

I DIY'd the swap and it took about 40 minutes start to finish and that included vacuuming out under the seat while I was in there. Price was $207 for the battery here in Frisco, Tx.

Hey there fellow Texan, I am planning on replacing my battery too and I heard good reviews about interstate battery. Which Firestone store was able to provide you the battery, I live in frisco area too.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM
GDA
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Borntovin
Hey there fellow Texan, I am planning on replacing my battery too and I heard good reviews about interstate battery. Which Firestone store was able to provide you the battery, I live in frisco area too.
Hello to you as well!

I dealt with Clint at the Firestone at the intersection of Main and Teel. They did have to special order it as it does not show up as available through their normal system.

I probably educated them a bit on it so you should be good if you show them this thread and the pics from page 2. Ordered on Saturday and battery was available for pick up on Monday. They did have to charge me a $25 core charge but that got credited back when I returned the old battery the next day.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 PM
997JJ3
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for a great DIY. Timely as our 09 CS battery was slowing heading south. Replaced today w/DuracellAGM from Battery Plus for $200. Biggest hassle was trim pieces. Total install time for first timer was about 45min
Old 11-09-2014, 03:55 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
I only have a battery under my drivers seat.
Thanks for the write-up. I'm still on the orig battery and my CS will be nine years old in Jan. Longest battery life I've ever enjoyed but it's time for some preventative maintenance
Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Spot on instructions!

Fantastic write up. I was able to change my battery this morning in about 45 minutes thanks to this!!! No issues whatsoever except a light failure warning upon first start. I figured it would go away once I drove it and it built up a charge. The error is gone and I saved a bunch of dough.

I have a 2009 CTTS and bought a duralast gold h9 battery from autozone for 189.99!

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back from the dead.

I have various fun alerts showing up and the codes all indicate voltage so it has to be the battery. I have an autocraft platinum AGM 900 CCA H8 in store down the street from me at advanced apparently so that's the plan. Saw the how to, I don't mind losing my settings but is there any other problem with just going to town without using a trickle charger?

I also suddenly I have a brake light and license plate light out... radio acting funky too. I think it's time. I'm going to swap the battery, clear the codes, change the bulbs, polish this pig up and trade her in.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

https://vimeo.com/115830153

This might help also...
Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CayenneS2008
Make sure you connect a trickle charge under the hood before you pull the old battery or all your settings/radio codes will be gone!
Thanks for the advice.

You mentioned connecting it under the hood. Where do I do that? Can I alternatively just use the Porsche (C-Tek) battery charger plugged into the cigarette lighter, or am I risking something?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
Thanks for the advice.

You mentioned connecting it under the hood. Where do I do that? Can I alternatively just use the Porsche (C-Tek) battery charger plugged into the cigarette lighter, or am I risking something?
Under the hood is a positive terminal (under a red cover) and a nearby negative terminal on the inside fender - both on the driver's side - check your owner's manual.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

This is a big help. I purchased a new factory battery 2 years ago for my 04 TT. Never got around to it. After 12 years the old one is still going strong. I have never had a battery last more than 6 years this now has become a dare to see how long it will last.

Although I think it is time.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:10 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My old 04 Touareg, which I bought new and has the same setup(platform agnostic right?), had the original battery in it, when I sold it after 10 years of use in 14.

So they can last if you don't abuse them.

My 09 has some work being done in the shop, original battery, car was shipped in 09 and went in to service in 10. Was working fine, but the dealer drained it, charged it, I had a no start condition again, charged it, was fine for 3 months then just now started doing the same thing. So maybe it could have lasted 10 but that one event screwed it I think.

Anyways just got the Lead Acid Autocraft gold battery, had a made in Germany sticker on it, I thought all these were JNB batteries, anyways $135 with tax and a 30% off coupon. Last one and manufactured 3/15 so sitting there a while? Was going to get the AGM, but it was a smaller shape so didn't want to hall it home and not have it fit right.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:22 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AGM H9 or LEad Acid H9

Is there any disadvantages to an AGM battery? I see that Duracell Platinum one from battery plus fits perfectly (Group 95R H9), and is AGM technology. I've been upgrading and adding electronics lately, and I need something that is rock solid.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/replac...rdlg/sli95ragm

It certainly has an impressive specs, but also twice as expensive as others.

Also, I have a 2010 Cayenne S. Does that year require "registering the battery"? Or is that only on newer cars?

Quick Reply: 955/957 Cayenne DIY: Battery Replacement Guide