V8 Oil Change w/pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:16 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Great post...

If i understand correctly, a Durametric tool will remove the 10k mile Service reminder, which resets the oil change interval.
I'm getting ready for my first oil change on my 958 TT. I recently ordered the Durametric (enthusiast version) so i can do it all, start to finish, and not rely on my dealer.

Thanks again for the informative/detailed post!
Can you let me know if this worked out for you. If so, any info on Durametric tool would be most appreciated. Especially since I just added another p-car with resets! Ah, what ever happened to the old sticker on the inside of the windshield?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Caymanman1970
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice!!! Great pics and info! How long does car have to run before it will give an accurate reading on dash? You should write one up for a Cayman :-)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by usmm1234
Can you let me know if this worked out for you. If so, any info on Durametric tool would be most appreciated. Especially since I just added another p-car with resets! Ah, what ever happened to the old sticker on the inside of the windshield?
Finally got around to doing my oil change on my 958 CTT today.
It was pretty straightforward.

Afterward, i hooked up my Durametric and id'd the area under instrument cluster section.
There was an obvious location to reset the oil change setting/periodicity, in addition to the intermediate and major service if warranted.
Worked perfectly.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 165 Posts

Excellent post and great detail provided! No doubt this helps many of us here.
I wanted to comment on a few slight differences i experienced with my oil change on a 958 CTT today.

First, i bought the upgraded oil change plug (magnetic tip) and the torque value was identified as only 19 ft/lbs.

Second, i put in 8.75 quarts and was at the bare minimum for oil level.
I ended up getting it perfect with exactly 10 quarts (two 5-quart Mobil 1 jugs).
I did let the oil drain down to the last drop for nearly 2-hours though.

Checking oil level is a PIA!!
I added a little oil at a time and had to drive approximately 6-7 miles before the instrument cluster would provide the latest level of oil. One item to note: The last two sections to reach full oil level go pretty quick. The first two took more oil than i was expecting. The key is to go in small increments. Unfortunately as stated above, the vehicle will display a message that a short time/distance is needed to indicate the oil level. Wish these things still had dip sticks.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As promised a while back, this is a step by step DIY for changing the oil and filter in the latest Porsche Cayenne V8 (Type 958 Model year 2011- ).........

Removing the Filter:

By now the sump has probably drained sufficiently so you can button it up with a new washer on the drain plug. Recommended torque is 50nm or 37ftlbs. Sump and plug are both aluminum: DON'T OVERTIGHTEN. Move your drain pan under the filter housing. The filter cap (and filter) are the exact same ones used on the 997.2 Carrera. A 36mm 6 or 12 point socket is required to remove it. FWIW, this is a change from the earlier V8 which required a 76mm 14 sided cap wrench. Remove the cap (Picture 9), allow the oil to drain and remove the filter element (Picture 10). Picture 11 shows how to remove the old filter ring gasket from the cap. Note the groove in the cap where the ring gasket resides. Wipe down the filter cap, lightly oil the new gasket with fresh oil, and slip it over the cap into place.

Add Oil:

You'll want to do this before reinstalling the engine trays, so you can start the car and check for leaks. The stated capacity of the engine and filter is 9.5 quarts, however it is critical that you don't overfill as damage to the engine or catalytic converters can result. Depending on how long and thoroughly you let the engine drain and whether the car is level, a full 9.5 quarts may not have come out. For that reason, I always fill initially to something less than capacity, but enough so that at worst I will be above the minimum level when I start the car. In this case I added about 8.75 quarts. After starting the car and checking for leaks I brought the engine up to temperature to get a reading on the oil level gauge. It read "Oil Level OK" but it was 1 bar low. Each segment of the gauge is supposedly equal to .26 of a quart, but since the point at which the next bar is illuminated is unknown (to me at least) it's best to proceed slowly. Rechecking after each add, I added a couple of tenths of a quart, then 2 more tenths and the guage was at full (Picture 13). Total oil added was about 9.25 quarts. The thing to remember is, don't just dump in 9.5 quarts; sneak up on it and you won't overfill.

Finishing Up:

Time to reinstall the engine trays in the reverse order you took them off. I didn't torque the screws, I just made sure they were snug without tightening them too much. The clips and screws on engine trays often don't fit well on some cars but these all lined up perfectly. The car comes down off the jack stands or whatever and it's ready to go. BTW, if your "service due" indicator has come on, you will need to have your Porsche dealer reset it. Mine does it as a courtesy.

For me, the savings of a few hundred dollars isn't the biggest attraction of doing this job myself. There's not much shade tree maintenance that can be done on cars any more without specialized equipment or expertise, but an oil change can still be one of them. Spending quality time under the hood may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for some reason, it's especially rewarding when that hood is on a Porsche, and this service on the 958 Cayenne V8 is pretty easy. The money savings is icing on the cake.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Caymanman1970
Intermediate

Totally nuts as It is the same issue on Cayman that 1. no dip stick 2. that you have to drive around to get a reading. May just bring it to my mechanic and it can be his hassle.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Morseman
Intermediate

oh my god am I dumb, I just realized I put 5W30 mobile 1 in my cayenne turbo i only drove it 20 miles. Did I totally screw up?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:43 PM
dvwest
3rd Gear

great post, thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 12:07 PM
RLHornbeck
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up on this. One question, Can you read the oil level with Durametric? This would make life alot easier.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 AM
dougpham
5th Gear

Durametric tool really works, doesnt it? Thank you for your confirmation. What the version of SW do you have on yours? Durametirc mentions version 6.5.1.9 to fix Cayenne 958 reset issue.

Many Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 01:54 AM
dougpham
5th Gear

Thank you Mike for great Oil change DIY. I did my 2014 Cayenne today. The oil cap for Cayenne base is in tight place. I add 7 quarts to start, and add 1/2 quart after engine warm at normal operation. Cayenne base is 7.13 Quart as stated in the spec.

My Porsche SA took care the reset for free.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2016, 10:51 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Thank you for the awesome write up! I'm going to tackle the oil change (+ air and cabin filters) on my 2012 Cayenne Turbo next week so am obtaining the supplies now and doing the research.

Quick question, how do I best measure the amount of "lbft" tightening torque I need to use that you guys mention?
Old 12-23-2016, 11:14 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Update: never mind my question, I researched and learned about configurable torque wrenches.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:49 PM
dkennimer
4th Gear

Thank you very much for the detailed info!

I have a question. I changed the oil and filter, but only put 8.5 quarts in. I was wanting to slowly top off from there. My oil level is not visible/accessible through the display (I can see it, but it won't allow me in to view). Last week while waiting on parts I read this thread again and at that time I was able to view the oil level. Do I just not have enough for it to be registering? I don't want to over-fill. I drove it around the block to see if it would, but it didn't. (2011 Cayenne S).
Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 PM
dkennimer
4th Gear

Well, it just needed driven around ten or so miles. Added another quart before I drove it. It's one bar below max now. Thanks again for the detailed info!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:31 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Great Write up on the oil change. According to Mobil, Porsch specifies Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (European Car Formula) for the 2012 CTT. The best price on that Mobil oil was at WalMart: 5 quarts @$23 shipped.

Cheaper than Sam's, Costco, Amazon or anything else online as of this writing.

Is 37 ft/lbs really the recommended torque setting for the drain plug on the aluminum sump pan? Seems high. Any links to a magnetic drain plug?

Oil Filter: Amazon recommendation Mahle Original OX254D4ECO $13 Amazon

Quick Reply: V8 Oil Change w/pictures