955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by HAYJAM
I went to do my brakes on an 09 Cayenne base and seem to have issues with the replacement rotor which are EBC rotors. Are the rotors supposed to be friction fit? The ones that are currently on slip on and off without issue. The new ones are not going on all the way. I can see a small gap between the rotor and lug hole except where the bolt is that holds the rotor to hub it seems to pull it tight to the hub. With that, it makes it impossible to mount the caliper - The pins for the pads are hitting the rotor making it cockeyed. I went ahead and mounted the tire and sungged up the bolts then removed it. The rotor was on there tight, but still looked it could be pushed on more - At this point I still could not get the caliper back on. I have taken it back off and put the old one back on. Is this normal or the EBC rotor out of spec, perhaps?

Thanks in advance
Sounds like you have a problem with the new rotor where either the center bore diameter is incorrect or the offset of the rotor is incorrect, or both. Usually rotors slip on without any interference and are held in place with the extra screw that goes through the rotor and into the hub. The rotors are secured for use by the lug bolts. Center bore should be 71.6mm for a press fit trying to take advantage of the hub-centric mounting, or slightly larger if not. If you have a digital caliper, maybe you can check the center bore spec of the new rotor. Also, while taking measurements, check the distance from the face of the rotor hat or hub to the face of the rotor and see if they're the same as the old rotor.

Last edited by Petza914; 04-17-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 PM
HAYJAM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Sounds like you have a problem with the new rotor where either the center bore diameter is incorrect ir the offset of the rotor us incorrect, or both. Usually rotors slip on without any interference and are held in place with the extra screw that goes through the rotor and into the hub. The rotors are secured for use by the lug bolts. Center bore should be 71.6mm for a press fit trying g yo take advantage of the hub-centric mounting or larger if not. If you have a digital caliper, maybe you can check the center bore spec of the new rotor. Also, while taking measurements, check the distance from the face of the rotor hat or hub to the face of the rotor and see if they're the same as the old rotor.
Thanks for the response. The center bore measures approx. 85mm. I think the issue is the inner dimension of the rotor that goes over the outside edges of the hub. Unfortunately I haven't found what that dimension should be as of yet. The area needed to measure is the deepest part of the rotor which I can't really reach with the calipers. I'll have to come up with a methodology of making the measurement to compare to the old one.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Originally Posted by HAYJAM
Thanks for the response. The center bore measures approx. 85mm. I think the issue is the inner dimension of the rotor that goes over the outside edges of the hub. Unfortunately I haven't found what that dimension should be as of yet. The area needed to measure is the deepest part of the rotor which I can't really reach with the calipers. I'll have to come up with a methodology of making the measurement to compare to the old one.
If you pick up one of these measuring devices, not only can you measure inside and outside dimensions, but the rod that protrudes through the back will let you measure depth too. This is the easiest way to measure distance from the face plane of the hub to the face plane of the rotor like I'm measuring depth of the caliper mounting hole in this photo. You can probably find one at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, or maybe even Lowes or Home Depot.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 PM
CarlosCA
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Seem to be missing something here

The post is titled "Rotors & Pads" but from what I can tell the pics & commentary from way back when go right to pad replacement after pulling the pads out. No detail on rotor replacement such as when the T50 is needed. Did I miss a link somewhere? thanks

Quick Reply: 955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads