Notices

955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads

Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 AM
James Yoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your experience and feedback!

My 04 S needed new front pads and rotors. I ordered everything through autohaus and did the job for under $350. I ended up using zimmerman rotors and pagid pads. Total time took about 2 hours, where the first side took almost 1.5 hours due to tracking down the right tools and figuring out where everything was. The second side was a breeze. This is coming from someone that has never replaced brakes before let alone really every got his hands dirty before.

Brakes feel good, comparable to oem so far. Only thing is there is an initial squeal when first pressing the brakes. Not loud, but noticeable. Anything I can do about that?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you got pagid... you may be SOL... Pagid typically squeal until they warm up depending on what compound you got.

One thing you can do is break all the edges with a file (no more than 2mm chamfer) this has helped in the past, but in my experience Pagid's always make noise... but I mostly deal with race cars and we don't care about it
Old 06-04-2014, 02:48 PM
JoWilson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have suggestions for drilled & slotted high-performance rotors? I'm looking to do this like next week.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Did It!

Did mine today. Total job(pads/sensors only) took 2 hours, which included the detailing of the red 18ZR calipers. I was able to squeeze-in another 4300 miles on the pads, once the ! light came on. Front pads still had about 3mm pad remaining, while rears about 6mm.

This time, I went with Hawk dustless pads. Not as great bite as the Pagids - but I'm liking the reduction in brake dust!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

For my wife's 08 Cayenne S, I am planning on ordering rotors (Zimmerman Z coat) and Textar pads from pelican parts. PP says Textar is OEM pads. I am also going to flush the brake fluid (using Motive power bleeder) at the same time. The total cost comes $600 shipped.

Both pads and rotors have about 30k miles on them and the rotors feel "ribbed" with a small lip. The brake wear light is not "on" yet. So, I am not replacing the sensors.

I looked at the ECS Tuning Brake package, but I am not finding any reviews about them. I am also not sure if I want to use "Bosch" brake pads. I have used Zimmerman rotors on my Boxster before and Pagid pads and I liked them.

I got a quote for pads, sensors and other hardware (not including rotors) from Sunset Porsche and the total came $525 shipped.

Question:
1. Is that a good package (Zimmerman rotors and Textar pads)?
2. Should I also replace the other hardware?
3. Are my rotors 350mm? How can I tell?

I spent a lot of time searching and came out confused more than before.

Thanks and cheers,
-K
Old 07-18-2014, 10:30 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kalyan
Question:
1. Is that a good package (Zimmerman rotors and Textar pads)?
2. Should I also replace the other hardware?
3. Are my rotors 350mm? How can I tell?

I spent a lot of time searching and came out confused more than before.

Thanks and cheers,
-K
1. Zimmerman rotors are good. Textar pads are great (the same as your original pads), however they can be noisy, and they do dust a LOT. If you were happy with your original pads, you will be happy with the Textars.
2. If you live in an area where salt is used or corrosion is common, get the pad hardware (pins and spring clips). Get new caliper bolts regardless, as they are not intended for reuse.
3. Yes, your front rotors are 350mm.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:17 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Many thanks, XR4Tim.

Current pads are not noisy and I am not happy with the brake dust. Any suggestions?

thanks again!!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kalyan
Many thanks, XR4Tim.

Current pads are not noisy and I am not happy with the brake dust. Any suggestions?

thanks again!!
Any ceramic pads should dust less. EBC YellowStuff and Hawk HPS will also dust quite a bit less than OEM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 AM
mrbeaubo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Fyi, you can probably do just pads and sensors...........not rotors everytime. I am about on my third set of pads rotors and hardware but same rotors.

Living in Austin, my 4 yr avg mph is 14 in city and 17 on highway......and about 12k miles a year. 4 yr average
Cordsig79: I'm about to do my wife's pads/rotors tomorrow here in Austin (after I fix her blower motor and change her oil, amongst other things). I tried to change them the other day but the caliper bolts wouldn't break free to save my life. Did you run into this issue at all?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbeaubo
Cordsig79: I'm about to do my wife's pads/rotors tomorrow here in Austin (after I fix her blower motor and change her oil, amongst other things). I tried to change them the other day but the caliper bolts wouldn't break free to save my life. Did you run into this issue at all?
You need to let them soak in solvent(spray them down with brake cleaner)..........also be mindful to replace the hardware as all those pressures due to tend to alter the original shape.

I go about every 2 years to Brakes for Less on South Lamar, they charge me 100 in labor, and I do the Front and Rears usually a year behind each other.

Im driving even less now a days since I probably have not had my last set of pads done since 2012?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
mrbeaubo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
You need to let them soak in solvent(spray them down with brake cleaner)..........also be mindful to replace the hardware as all those pressures due to tend to alter the original shape.

I go about every 2 years to Brakes for Less on South Lamar, they charge me 100 in labor, and I do the Front and Rears usually a year behind each other.

Im driving even less now a days since I probably have not had my last set of pads done since 2012?
Good notes, thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
slickricky955
1st Gear

Hey guys,

I am new to rennlist and seeking some brake rotor advice. Would any of you consider using genuine OE remanufactured rotors? I have seen some around the internet and was simply wondering if they would be a viable option.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by slickricky955
Hey guys,

I am new to rennlist and seeking some brake rotor advice. Would any of you consider using genuine OE remanufactured rotors? I have seen some around the internet and was simply wondering if they would be a viable option.

Thanks,
Rick
Hey Rick,

Yes. EDIT - no. Remanufactured OE? This is a Porsche.. I can't imagine spending $125 or so with someplace like ECS would break the bank right?

And there are 14 pages of info about this in this thread alone. Spending some time with search might prove productive.

Last edited by deilenberger; 08-07-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoWilson
Does anyone have suggestions for drilled & slotted high-performance rotors? I'm looking to do this like next week.
Maybe this feedback is a little bit too late for you: check out R1 Concept slotted and cross drilled, they carry Premier-Series High Carbon R1355 for rear and R1920 for front rotors (350mm).

Now, you mentioned HIGH PERFORMANCE rotors, if you'e looking for some real HP racing stuff, you may liketo check some other toys from AP racing or similar, zimmermann as well. Check out zeckhausen racing website you can get direct communication with David Z. and he will be more than glad to help you get the right stuff.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts
Default REMANUFACTURED ROTORS...

This sounds a lot like resurfaced rotors which could be too thin. I have never liked machining worn rotors and have never done or allowed on any of my brake jobs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads