Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   DIY - Cayenne (955/957) (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-cayenne-955-957-267/)
-   -   955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-cayenne-955-957/451429-955-957-cayenne-diy-front-rotors-and-pads.html)

is.deleon 06-01-2010 06:45 PM

just did the rear pads, can't beleive how easy it was, thanks for the right up

Eric_Shea 06-01-2010 08:13 PM

So was that 4 beers Scott? :D

Anyone using Porterfield R4-S pads on their pig?

fhp911 06-02-2010 07:14 PM

We manufacture a Brake Tool which greatly eases the process of removing the retaining pin, by compressing the spring clip for you. The Tool turns a very unpleasant task into a few-second operation, and it leaves the spring compressed so you have both hands free to get the pin out. $49.95

And we offer a Brake Pad Separator to compress the pistons for easy removal/insertion of the pads.

Check them out at http://Traqjunk.com

madburg 06-23-2010 12:43 PM

What does it mean to "lube Hub" (meantioned in the 60k service as well). What type of lub and are you lubing the hub of the rotor, were it would meet the wheel?

kubrick1 06-27-2010 12:52 PM

as well just replaced all four pads, pretty easy. Only question CEL still on for "brake pads". I replaced all the sensors, hoped that was the cure the CEL. Do I need to have the message cleared w/ a code reader or something? Thanks!

goforwand 07-11-2010 10:24 PM

I just finished up all 4 corners for pads and rotors on my '06 S and thanks to the write up, it was a very simple process. The biggest "surpise" was the fact that it took so long based on the fact that anything that could be siezed up and/or stuck was siezed up and stuck :eek:

I only have 38k on the S and was not expecting that removing a caplier pin would take 10 minutes of constant hammering or that I would have to burn an entire can of PB blaster to remove the rotors once the little screws were removed. It was so bad that even the cotter pins on the rear caliper pins were fused into the hole and barely could be pulled out.....

Once I realized that this would not be a 90 minute job, I just took my time and made an afternoon of it. I also cleaned up the calipers to remove all the baked on brake dust (more of a moral victory that anything else as I needed to do something with my time as the PB Blaster worked it's magic). I am glad that I followed the advice here and purchased the "new" hardware even though it may not be necessary, otherwise the S would still be up on jackstands as my caliper bolts and clips would be still be soaking in brake cleaner. :rolleyes:

Slow Guy 07-12-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by fhp911 (Post 7624167)
We manufacture a Brake Tool which greatly eases the process of removing the retaining pin, by compressing the spring clip for you. The Tool turns a very unpleasant task into a few-second operation, and it leaves the spring compressed so you have both hands free to get the pin out. $49.95

And we offer a Brake Pad Separator to compress the pistons for easy removal/insertion of the pads.

Check them out at http://Traqjunk.com

Cool tools! I've not needed to remove the brake pads on the Cayenne yet but I've been looking for a pad spreader for a while. Tired of using large screwdrivers.

fhp911 07-12-2010 05:31 PM

Goforwand says,

I only have 38k on the S and was not expecting that removing a caplier pin would take 10 minutes of constant hammering
This is the exact problem which the Traqjunk Brake Tool is designed to handle.

Look at the quotes from our happy users. Only $49.95

TraqJunk.com

suzu69 11-20-2010 02:14 PM

Worshop Light Question

Thanks for the directions. When I replaced the brake pads on my Boxster the Pads Warning light went out automatically.

On my Cayenne the Brake Pads Workshop light still comes on. Any Ideas how to reset it?

Note: I did not replace the sensors since I did not need to on the Boxster. I assume this is my problem.

Am I wrong?

mudman2 11-20-2010 08:59 PM

yes, you should have replaced the sensors, they alone cause the light to come on so the have to be replaced

SKYSTAK 11-21-2010 12:49 AM

18zl silver on 08 cs is what sine? 330 or 350?

suzu69 11-26-2010 03:50 PM

Mudman...

I replace the sensors with new ones. The "Brake Pad Workshop" warning is still on.

Is there a way to reset this? I disconnected the negative battery cable but no joy.

Thanks in advance.

Suzu

medtech 11-26-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by kubrick1 (Post 7690873)
as well just replaced all four pads, pretty easy. Only question CEL still on for "brake pads". I replaced all the sensors, hoped that was the cure the CEL. Do I need to have the message cleared w/ a code reader or something? Thanks!

Make sure the sensors are seated in the caliper all the way. You shouldn't need to reset the CEL.

mudman2 11-26-2010 06:48 PM

I agree it just goes off if its all connected up

suzu69 12-04-2010 12:20 PM

Mudman and gang...

You are all correct. I had only replaced the front brakes and sensors since the car only has 69000 miles.

It was a rear sensor.

Thanks again for the help.

Suzu