Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   DIY - Cayenne (955/957) (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-cayenne-955-957-267/)
-   -   955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-cayenne-955-957/451429-955-957-cayenne-diy-front-rotors-and-pads.html)

chrispiec 01-10-2013 05:50 AM

Will these pads on eBay fit my cayenne turbo?

Item No. 290750164395

PD Monkey 01-19-2013 05:21 PM

I just did the front rotors and pads on my 04 CS. WOW, was that easy. By far the easiest brake job I've ever done. I hope the rears are just as simple. 90 minutes, including scrubbing/cleaning the wheels and calipers

fhp911 01-19-2013 07:45 PM

Shameless plug:

Take a look at TraqJunk.com.

Our Brake Pad Spreader is a very useful addition to your toolbox for pad changes, and our GT3 Brake Tool is an essential tool for certain Turbo Cayennes, and all GT3 (and GT2).

wingless 01-24-2013 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by PD Monkey (Post 10156294)
I just did the front rotors and pads on my 04 CS. WOW, was that easy. By far the easiest brake job I've ever done. I hope the rears are just as simple. 90 minutes, including scrubbing/cleaning the wheels and calipers

Make sure the correct tools are on-hand. The tools are listed in this reply.

stu11926 03-22-2013 03:09 AM

I was just checking out what rockauto.com carried. They have Centric hardware kits that replace the caliper springs and bolts. As of this posting, the part numbers are:

Front: Centric 11737005 $13.82 (1 kit does both sides) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...636&cc=1440078

Rear: Centric 11737006 $8.43 (1 kit does both sides) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...740&cc=1440078

billb123 05-30-2013 02:51 PM

I did front and back about 6 months ago, using the OEM Pagid pads. Seemed fine at first, but I have developed over the last few months a shimmying problem, and it is getting worse. It doesn't happen all the time, but when I apply the brakes lightly, the steering wheel starts to twitch and I can feel the car vibrate. With firm pressure it seems to go away or at least diminish materially. I thought maybe it has to with some kind of glazing or imperfections on the pads that gets worn down with firm pressure. I even considered trying to "bed them in" like I did with the track pads on my old 911. When I get home tonight i'm going to pull the wheels and maybe pads also, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for other than the obvious "something is loose".

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or thoughts about what it could be?

mudman2 05-30-2013 03:03 PM

That does not sound like pads to me but you will find out I am sure

XR4Tim 05-30-2013 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by billb123 (Post 10501446)
I did front and back about 6 months ago, using the OEM Pagid pads. Seemed fine at first, but I have developed over the last few months a shimmying problem, and it is getting worse. It doesn't happen all the time, but when I apply the brakes lightly, the steering wheel starts to twitch and I can feel the car vibrate. With firm pressure it seems to go away or at least diminish materially. I thought maybe it has to with some kind of glazing or imperfections on the pads that gets worn down with firm pressure. I even considered trying to "bed them in" like I did with the track pads on my old 911. When I get home tonight i'm going to pull the wheels and maybe pads also, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for other than the obvious "something is loose".

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or thoughts about what it could be?

Check your lower control arm bushings while you're in there.

lonertic 07-09-2013 10:28 PM

Wow thanks for the write up! Took me two hours to do it but 3/4's of that time was spent wrestling with the sensor wires that are too thick to fit into the wire holder in the caliper (not the spring plate) without damaging it. Other than that, easiest job I've ever done on the truck! Thanks!

99 C4 09-26-2013 04:23 PM

can anybody tell me the torque setting for the front brake pad retaining pin for a 2010 Cayenne GTS. I looked at a write up on changing the barkes and they cover everyting except the pin that holds the pads in place.

3rdPorsche 10-02-2013 07:51 PM

I just finished replacing the front rotors and pads on my 2008 S. As stated above, a very easy and straightforward job.
However, I want to point out that the brake sensor wire to the outside pad sensor goes over the top of the pad retaining pin not underneath. You can see the difference in the said wire's position in the before (photos 1 & 3) and after (photos 7 & 8) in medtech's initial posting.

4x4 12-11-2013 02:56 PM

Guys, been to the dealership and got informed that I need to replace the Front and Rear brake pads and calipers soon. OEM parts are quite expensive.

I have a 2008 year Cayenne Turbo with 18" PLUS Front and Rear Disc brakes (RED).
Which parts are recommended besides the OEM? Are Brembo calipers and pads as good as OEM?

JW3 12-11-2013 03:09 PM

You don't need to replace the brake calipers (unless they are severly damaged). The calipers are Brembo. As for replacing what's worn out - you'll only need to change the rotors, pads and all hardware. The front rotors, pads and hardware is easy. The rear requires a bit more work. Unless you are into racing or really hard on brakes, I find the OEM from Porsche to be excellent.
There is a great explanantion on this forum or RENNTECH for doing the brakes yourself. You'll need a few special tools, a very good torque wrench, some muscle and a really good floor jack or lift. If you go to the dealer - be prepared to pay about $1400 or so for the whole job. Good luck.

4x4 12-11-2013 03:46 PM

Sorry, I dont need to change the calipers. Only Rotors and Pads.
Are the Brembo rotors and Pads any good or should I still go for the OEM parts?

Km1.8t 12-11-2013 04:16 PM

OEM parts are fine and if you go to Sunset or Suncoast Porsche, they have everything you need. The OEM pads are Brembo and the rotors may be as well. Very easy job to perform.