Notices

955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads

Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

I need. Zimmerman drilled and Pagid OE pads. Going to do the fronts first. How many sensors do I buy, just one?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

You need one sensor per wheel.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 PM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it today and it was a piece of cake.. Kind of like changing pads/rotors on any other besides a couple of special tools needed.. It took me about 6-7 hours to do all 4 corners.. worked slow and cautious.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wingless how are those pads/rotors doing? They are very tempting/economical at that price for the set...
Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
wingless how are those pads/rotors doing? They are very tempting/economical at that price for the set...
The wife uses this for supermarket runs.

We don't agree on driving technique. She is on the gas, then on the brake, to a red light, wearing the brakes out quickly.

If I get anywhere near the mileage off of these compared to the Porsche OE parts (at twice the price) then I am way ahead of the game.

They work great. They look great. They fit great. The cost and delivery time is great. (Sense a theme...?)

IMO, this complete set of parts for under $400 is a great deal. This is not from some knock-off European manufacturer, these are genuine Chinese parts.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Hamlet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your post Wingless. If I change the hardware, does the kit you bought accept the normal hardware?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hamlet
Thanks for your post Wingless. If I change the hardware, does the kit you bought accept the normal hardware?
Yes, everything fit together nicely w/ the Porsche hardware.

So far the rotors have remained rust-free, w/ a shiny polished finish. My expectation is that the coating or plating will abrade away at some point and the idle rotors will then have a rusty finish after getting wet. That hasn't happened yet and they still look new, even after getting wet.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
Wingless,

Is that where you jack the car up from the front to put the front jack stands underneath?
FYI,

I would be cautious about the placement of those stands. That can be a precarious location and the car can fall (ask me how I know). You are supporting the car on the relatively thin metal of that circle, rather than the frame. Combine that thin circle, on top of a jack stand with a little play in it, and you have just enough wiggle potential for a serious fall.

That is a support location that I would NOT recommend anyone use.

Just a suggestion.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech
That is a support location that I would NOT recommend anyone use.
Thanks, I do not recommend anyone use the jack stand locations that have worked for me.

My process is to use jack stands and also keep the jacks in-place, also not a recommendation.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
Did it today and it was a piece of cake.. Kind of like changing pads/rotors on any other besides a couple of special tools needed.. It took me about 6-7 hours to do all 4 corners.. worked slow and cautious.
Wish I could say the same. In the middle of doing my CTT rears and the pad retaining pins are stuck SOLID, no matter that I've scraped them down to bare metal.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wingless
FYI, the pad retention pin moved w/ difficulty from crud, but moved very easily once sprayed w/ Simple Green.
Originally Posted by Jason M
Wish I could say the same. In the middle of doing my CTT rears and the pad retaining pins are stuck SOLID, no matter that I've scraped them down to bare metal.
Was anything tried to lubricate the pin, like water or a cleaner. I used Simple Green. It immediately changed from NO GO to GO.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed my front rotors+pads & sensors today. My first time on a Porsche. It was very simple except when I put the two bolts that hold the caliper to the rotors. The two bolts was easy to take off, but to screwed it back on was another story. I had to man power per click on the rachet. It was supposed to be easy as taking it off. Long story short it took me 1 1/2 hour to installed per rotors. Not bad I guess. Next time it should be faster. The work I have done saved me $1000. The dealer was going to charged me $1315! All my parts was from AutohausAZ.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The wife uses this for supermarket runs.

We don't agree on driving technique. She is on the gas, then on the brake, to a red light, wearing the brakes out quickly.
Your wife sounds like my wife, it's either on the gas or on the brake, no coasting. At least she's not on both at the same time.

Now if I can only get her to use her turn signals and to use the right lane when she's not passing.......

I know, lost cause.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Was anything tried to lubricate the pin, like water or a cleaner. I used Simple Green. It immediately changed from NO GO to GO.
Yes, every flavor of penetrating oil I have in inventory. This crud would laugh at Simple Green. In the end, I cut some strips of emery cloth, wrapped one around the pin and went to work, changing the strip as needed. This did the trick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 955/957 Cayenne DIY: Front Rotors and Pads