Notices

Airbag light on dash. Fault code says driver seat sensor open

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 03:15 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Airbag light on dash. Fault code says driver seat sensor open

About a month or so I got an airbag light on the dash out of nowhere. Figured it would be a million to fix trying to chase down an electrical issue like that. Searched the internet and found nothing until recently. Someone on Renlist had a similar issue, but on the passenger side. I figured I put it all together in one neat step by step with fresh pics, so here goes...

Issue: Airbag light on dash. Fault code says driver seat sensor open position. Could also be passenger seat sensor, then it's on passenger side.

Cause: broken wires within the rubber boot of the door.

Fix steps: ( based on driver side error)

1. Use a flathead to push down in the boot release attached to the car frame on the driver side. Then pull the boot back and twist inside out a bit to make it stay.

2. Unhook harness release and pull away from the car frame.

3. Look for green and red wires and inspect their condition. Mine were broken where the shielding stops.

4. Push the boot on the door side into the door to expose wires that you'll be working on.

5. Cut, strip, solder, shield, and extend the broken wires with 2" of new wires.

6. Plug harness back into place

7. Reseat to rubber boot properly.

8. Find someone who can clear fault codes for you. There will be a few additional codes for the door components since you unplugged the harness on top on the already present airbag light which won't go away on its own.

See attached pics. I used a Piwis II clone to reset all faults.

Hope this helps someone.

DIY - original thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-position.html
Attached Images       

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-29-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Airbag light on dash. Fault code says driver seat sensor open