Notices

Clear Side Marker Installation

Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Clear Side Marker Installation

There's been discussion about replacing the side markers on the new Cayenne body style but I haven't seen a DIY thread. Since I was going to do it today, I thought I'd post some pics and tips about how I did it to maybe save someone some time/grief.

First, IIRC, at least one poster said that he took his car to a dealer and they just popped the light off from the outside. I experimented a bit with that but didn't have the nerve to use the force on my brand new car that seemed to be required. So I basically followed the directions in the manual. There are however a few adds to the factory instructions and a couple of tips that will make the job easier. With experimenting, lots of eyeballing, taking pictures, finding the right tools, etc. I spent over an hour doing one side. Once I got the procedure down, I did the second side in a very relaxed 15 minutes.

So, you will need a T25 Torx driver (ignore the T20 in the photo below) or bit, a small Phillips screwdriver, and a broad flat screwdriver.

Turn the wheel inward as far as it will go to give yourself some room to work. It's not necessary to take off the wheel.

The manual shows removing a couple screws that secure the wheelwell liner. I removed a couple extra as the liner is stiff and removing the extra screws made it easier to disengage it from the fender lip trim. Use the broad flat screwdriver to gently pry the liner away from the trim then peel back enough to allow access to the rear of the marker light.

Here's the key to making this operation go successfully and easily. Closely examine your new clear side markers so you'll see what your dealing with on your old yellow ones. Note that the retaining clip with the 2 catches on it has a hole at the end. This is where the small Phillips screwdriver comes in. Feel behind the side marker on the car with your finger and locate the catches and the hole. The clip will give to pressure from your finger and you can see the side marker wiggle. Now use your finger as a guide to slide the tip of the Phillips screwdriver into the hole. The hole will keep the screwdriver in place while you perform the next step.

Push on the screwdriver to free the catches and at the same time pivot the handle of the screwdriver toward the wheel. This will cause the retaining clip to release and also pop the back end of the side marker free from the housing. The front tab of the marker will likely still be engaged so you can't just pull on the back of the marker or you might break the tab. Pull or pry gently at the front and the whole thing will come out.

From here it's easy. Note the alignment of the bulb socket and pull it straight off. Replace the bulb with a yellow one and push the socket firmly into the receptacle on the clear marker. I'd advise that you test to make sure the bulb works at this point. Don't want to put it all back together and then find there's a problem. Line up the clear marker and push it straight into the housing. It should go in easily with a faint click. Replace the liner, button up the screws you removed, and you're done.

Enjoy your cool new Euro style markers!

MODERATORS NOTE: For some reason the excellent photos that Mike provided didn't travel/copy with the thread - so here is the link to the original - where I think you'll enjoy the nice clear phot documentation:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...arker-diy.html
Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't say it was hard, but it's a pia. It looks great.

Correction, it takes a T25, not a T20. The directions were perfect, made the job easier.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
I can't say it was hard, but it's a pia. It looks great.

Correction, it takes a T25, not a T20. The directions were perfect, made the job easier.
Good catch, thanks. You're right. I grabbed the wrong tool for the pic. I've edited the text in the DIY (too lazy to change the photo!)
Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Please read the alternate install from WiredWays on the RennTech forum.
Much easier.
Took all of 2-3 minutes per side. Really.

"After reading this forum on Saturday, I went about replacing my amber side markers with clear side markers. After partially removing the wheel well liner like this forum and the owner manual suggests I struggled to remove the first side marker. After about 20 minutes, the first amber marker was out. What a chore. Now that I could see specifically how and where the marker attached (with pressure clips) I decided to take a different approach on the second side...

1. Slip a piece of fishing line (I used 40lb test) under the front point of the side marker. You may have to put a little pressure on top or bottom of the lens to free up a gap to get the line completely under the point of the light.
2. Carefully work the line back from the point 1/2 to 3/4 inch toward the center of the light.
3. Holding both end of the fishing line, give the line a firm tug, not too hard. This will unclip the lens form front pressure clip and partially from the rear pressure clip
4. Carefully remove the lens the rest of the way from the rear pressure clip and a slight tilt will also release the safety clip as well.
5. Remove the bulb from the amber lens, replace bulb with amber bulb, align slots on bulb gasket with clear lens align tabs on clear lens with pressure clips on vehicle and press lens into place.

Total time expended on first side (using the owner’s manual method) 30 minutes by the time I put everything back together.
Total time expense on second side 4 minutes.

I hope this helps everyone save some time so you can spend less time with your hand(s) wedged up inside the fender well and more time behind the wheel. "

Written by WiredWays
The following users liked this post:
clifforza (02-13-2022)
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Please read the alternate install from WiredWays on the RennTech forum.
Much easier.
Took all of 2-3 minutes per side. Really.

"After reading this forum on Saturday, I went about replacing my amber side markers with clear side markers. After partially removing the wheel well liner like this forum and the owner manual suggests I struggled to remove the first side marker. After about 20 minutes, the first amber marker was out. What a chore. Now that I could see specifically how and where the marker attached (with pressure clips) I decided to take a different approach on the second side...

1. Slip a piece of fishing line (I used 40lb test) under the front point of the side marker. You may have to put a little pressure on top or bottom of the lens to free up a gap to get the line completely under the point of the light.
2. Carefully work the line back from the point 1/2 to 3/4 inch toward the center of the light.
3. Holding both end of the fishing line, give the line a firm tug, not too hard. This will unclip the lens form front pressure clip and partially from the rear pressure clip
4. Carefully remove the lens the rest of the way from the rear pressure clip and a slight tilt will also release the safety clip as well.
5. Remove the bulb from the amber lens, replace bulb with amber bulb, align slots on bulb gasket with clear lens align tabs on clear lens with pressure clips on vehicle and press lens into place.

Total time expended on first side (using the owner’s manual method) 30 minutes by the time I put everything back together.
Total time expense on second side 4 minutes.

I hope this helps everyone save some time so you can spend less time with your hand(s) wedged up inside the fender well and more time behind the wheel. "

Written by WiredWays
Of course, brilliant! Took me an hour the old fashioned way. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 AM
goowatchi
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative method

Took me about 15 minutes total for both sides. This method is a bit riskier, but I was able to have it done without any complications. I didn't have any fishing lines lying around and I didn't want to remove any torx screws from the wheel well.

I did have a spare iTunes gift card and a letter opener on my coffee table. So after a few Stella Artois', I decided, "What the heck! Let's 'MacGyver' these clear side markers onto my new Cayenne!"

Warning: Do at your own risk. This requires a little elbow grease and a little bit more testicular fortitude. Any plastic card will work, preferably one you don't mind disposing of status post modification.

1. Study your clear side markers. There are essentially two clips you need to loosen (an anterior clip on the inferior border of the side marker as well as a posterior clip on the superior border).

2. Here's the risky part: on your car, place the credit card/plastic gift card into the space under the side marker.

3. Place your letter opener in between the card and side marker (so as to not scratch your fender). Give it a slight pry so you can slide your card anteriorly to where the clip should be.

4. With your letter opener, pry the side marker towards you and pop the anterior clip.

5. Place card into the space on top of the side marker near the posterior clip.

6. Slide letter opener in between card and side marker, and pry towards you until the clip pops out.

7. Repeat for opposite side marker.

From what I read, this is similar to what the dealer does. Again, takes about 15 minutes total. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:53 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Bought the 'kit' from Suncoast and changed mine today using dental floss rather than fishing line. Really easy mod, took maybe 5 minutes per side. Suncoast sends amber bulbs in their 'kit' and I thought I would dislike them, but they don't stand out so I won't bother replacing them with the chromed ambers until these burn out.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 AM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Wong
Guys any suggestion where to get the clear LED bulb for the side marker without error code?
Here you go! Simple "resistor" inline with the existing socket and voila...you have LED bulbs in the clear side markers without and error codes!! Less than $15 spent on 2 resistors and 10 LEDs. 10 minute install. Any questions just ask

Last pic is of "stock"...clear halogen bulb that looked orange/yellow
Attached Images      

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Side Marker Installation