Sponsored By:

Optimal time to push boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 01:48 PM
Lilnicky448
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimal time to push boost?

Just purchased a 2019 Cayenne hybrid two months ago. Never been happier!

So far I've been able to figure most things out, but one thing I have not is the optimal time to press the boost button.

I have noticed at times while driving in sport+ the boost gauge on the dash will turn from white to green for a split second.

Does this signify an optimal time to hit the boost button? If so, is it at a certain RPM?

thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2024, 06:42 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. The optimal time to hit the boost button is whenever you need a smile! I’ll also use it in anticipation of a need for speed — before passing or merging.

I think you are confusing the Sport Response button in the center of the drive mode selector with the Boost Assistant gauge. While the Sport Response button does change to more aggressive engine and transmission mapping it provides no extra power beyond normal maximum power. I described my test drive exploring the Sport Response in this post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19204738

Here’s my understanding of the subject:

The instrument pictured below is called the Boost Assistant. It displays “the current share of electric drive power for acceleration.” (2019 Manual, p. 140)

The “boost” refers to the electric motor’s additive power to the ICE, and is based on the 918 Spyder’s Press-to-Pass button.

Think of it this way; In hybrid mode the ICE starts and “boosts” the electric motor when you demand more than max electric power (136 horsepower). In Sport and Sport+ mode, the electric motor boosts the ICE when you demand more than maximum ICE power (335 HP) up to the maximum combined 455 Hp. (No, the math doesn’t add up but those are Porsche’s numbers. Combined power seems to be limited to 700 NM)

How do you get this boost to maximum combined horsepower? Just press the accelerator — no need to press the Sport Response button.

From Porsche:
The boost strategy based on the 918 Spyder supercar is another new addition. It ensures that the electric engine can be used in all driving modes for an additional performance boost. A system torque of 700 Nm is directly available when you press the accelerator pedal. The spontaneous responsiveness creates an impressive acceleration experience that’s unique to the segment.
https://presskit.porsche.de/models/e...-e-hybrid.html

In another thread, the OP states that the Boost icon turns green during wide-open-throttle.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-in-green.html

The extent of the boost assistance and battery recharging depends on the driving mode. In Sport and Sport Plus modes, virtually all of the battery's energy can be used for a boost. In Sport mode, the battery is charged just as much as is required for a new boost. In Sport Plus mode, the battery is recharged as quickly as possible. In the other modes, a limited amount of energy is available for boosting in order to support efficient driving.

These amounts should be reflected by the bar gauge percentage at the bottom of the dial.

Bottom line: When the Boost Assistant shows 100% you have the full 136 HP electric boost available by pressing the accelerator.

See the Cayenne e-Hybrid press kit, paragraph #3, titled, “462 hp system power with 918 Spyder boost concept”
https://presskit.porsche.de/models/e...-e-hybrid.html

For reference, here is a picture of the turbocharger boost gauge on my Turbo. It consists of a bar gauge at the bottom of the instrument and corresponding digital readout of 17 psi.
Picture is a little blurry, since I was photographing the gauge while I punched it! Yee-Ha! 😀

Last edited by Schnave; 03-05-2024 at 09:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 11:15 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,428 Posts

One more thing. If my hunch is correct, when boost is less than 100%, the timer (circled in picture) will show amount of time until a full boost is available.

Can any Hybrid owners verify this?

Old 03-06-2024, 10:53 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
One more thing. If my hunch is correct, when boost is less than 100%, the timer (circled in picture) will show amount of time until a full boost is available.

Pretty sure that timer you circled shows the remaining time to charge to 100%. Not that I pay attention because I'm never in the car when it's charging.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
i386_64 (03-07-2024), Schnave (03-06-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 10:49 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave

What is circled is time to fully charge e batteries. It’s at 0.00 h because it’s 100% charged (max range is available ) by bar indicator below it. It doesn’t have direct correlation to boost. As long as you have some charge the added boost is available.

Last edited by radctt1; 03-10-2024 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Schnave (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 11:59 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts

“Just purchased a 2019 Cayenne hybrid two months ago. Never been happier!

So far I've been able to figure most things out, but one thing I have not is the optimal time to press the boost button.

I have noticed at times while driving in sport+ the boost gauge on the dash will turn from white to green for a split second.

Does this signify an optimal time to hit the boost button? If so, is it at a certain RPM?

thanks in advance”

To OP

I see that on my HUD for boost. I believe you are referring to E-assist boost. I do see it change from white and then green. Green only for a split second as well for me. I believe green indicates you now have max e assist available although I’m not able to find that specifically in owners manual or online. I assumed green meant go😀. I’ll keep hunting.

Personally, the green or not green indicator has never changed when I hit the sport response button. Never noticed any changes in vehicle performance so kind of dismissed it.

Quick Reply: Optimal time to push boost?