Sponsored By:

2021 Cayanne S performance tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 08:59 PM
ryan_s1983
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 Cayanne S performance tune

Looking for a tune for my 2021 Cayanne S. I tuned my 2022 911 C2S with m-engineering and have been very pleased. It was great gains and I went with a more conservative tune for my 911.

M-engineering will tune the 2021 Cayanne S, but both them and FABSPEED want you to send in your ECU… which becomes a massive pain if/when I need to take it back to the dealership for service in the future and need to flash back to stock.

Anyone here using a tune on their Cayanne? Run into this issue? What’s the best option out there?
Old 11-07-2022, 09:14 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,427 Posts

APR offers a flash through the OBD2 port. Individual installers available nationwide.
From this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-upgrades.html

]

http://goapr.io/9y29

We're excited to announce our Engine Control Unit (ECU) Upgrades are now available for the Porsche Cayenne S and S Coupe (9Y) 2.9 TFSI engine with the Bosch MG1 ECU! Expect massive gains with up to 484-538 HP and 521-590 FT-LBS of torque on tap, depending on octane, from this simple software upgrade.

Our new suite of MG1 ECU software comes after months of extensive research and development that is typically absent from the aftermarket. Our upgrade makes the engine more powerful and more exciting. We’ve extensively calibrated the system to work flawlessly on the track, while retaining safety routines to protect your engine in the most demanding scenarios. This was all made possible by our engineering team's pursuit of perfection. Development vehicles were outfitted with additional sensors, including turbo shaft speed sensors, thermocouples, transducers, and more, along with our high speed direct RAM logging equipment, to feed valuable data to the team for analysis. After thousands of hours of testing and tuning we created new calibrations that are fine tuned for several octanes and contain hundreds of map changes, with a vast array of safety features built in.

Feature Overview:
  • Delivers up to 484-538 HP with 521-590 FT-LBS depending on octane
  • Max gains of +80-135 AWHP and +108-179 AWFT-LBS depending on octane
  • Supports 91 AKI, 93 AKI, 100 AKI, and 104 AKI fuel grades
  • Optional factory term limit matching limited powertrain warranty with APR Plus
  • Standing RPM soft limiter increased
  • Left-foot braking / brake boosting added
  • Properly rescaled performance gauges
  • Optimized thermal management and protection
  • Optimized launch control strategy for faster response
  • Optimized driveline protection during launch
  • Optional exhaust crackle in sport mode (Similar to sportier models)
  • No hardware required (Software only)
  • Supports standard bolt on modifications
  • Eliminated the need for a TCU upgrade to achieve full torque
  • Free lifetime updates
  • Direct OBDII port flash (No ECU removal)
  • 30 day money back guarantee
Get all of the details, pricing, dyno charts, etc on our website:

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Schnave; 11-07-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:22 PM
ryan_s1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
APR offers a flash through the OBD2 port. Individual installers available nationwide.
From this thread:

]

We're excited to announce our Engine Control Unit (ECU) Upgrades are now available for the Porsche Cayenne S and S Coupe (9Y) 2.9 TFSI engine with the Bosch MG1 ECU! Expect massive gains with up to 484-538 HP and 521-590 FT-LBS of torque on tap, depending on octane, from this simple software upgrade.

Our new suite of MG1 ECU software comes after months of extensive research and development that is typically absent from the aftermarket. Our upgrade makes the engine more powerful and more exciting. We’ve extensively calibrated the system to work flawlessly on the track, while retaining safety routines to protect your engine in the most demanding scenarios. This was all made possible by our engineering team's pursuit of perfection. Development vehicles were outfitted with additional sensors, including turbo shaft speed sensors, thermocouples, transducers, and more, along with our high speed direct RAM logging equipment, to feed valuable data to the team for analysis. After thousands of hours of testing and tuning we created new calibrations that are fine tuned for several octanes and contain hundreds of map changes, with a vast array of safety features built in.

Feature Overview:
  • Optional factory term limit matching limited powertrain warranty with APR Plus
  • Free lifetime updates

Any idea how reliable these tunes are for a daily driver over an extended period of time?
Old 11-08-2022, 11:23 AM
INS4NE_B9
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan_s1983
Any idea how reliable these tunes are for a daily driver over an extended period of time?
APR has a phenomenal reputation. No worries there.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:10 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan_s1983
massive pain if/when I need to take it back to the dealership for service in the future and need to flash back to stock.
Why bother flashing back to stock when Porsche will know that it was flashed? A piggyback will leave less of a trail but if there is a major warranty claim that Porsche investigates, it can find evidence in the ECU that the engine has been operating at limits outside those allowed by the stock tune.

I installed a JB4. About to uninstall it for 2 year service.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:28 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Are you sure that Porsche will know if the car gets flashed and flashed back?
Old 11-08-2022, 07:24 PM
ryan_s1983
Rennlist Member

@Arin@APR I called APR today and they said my year model (2021), after march of that years production, the ECU was locked differently and, If my ECU is one of the newer models (which I think it is), then y’all do not have an easy tune for my car…

does that sound correct?
Old 11-08-2022, 08:07 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

I've heard the same thing, they can tell you whether they can tune your car by your VIN I believe. I imagine they'll find a workaround eventually.

edit: typo fix

Last edited by icemang; 11-08-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:26 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by icemang
Are you sure that Porsche will know if the car gets flashed and flashed back?
Yes. The “flash back to stock” trick might have worked 10 years ago.
The following users liked this post:
LDT (11-09-2022)
Old 04-17-2024, 10:12 PM
mcacs1
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

You should change the numbers in the table to show the delta values between normal and tune dyno results.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:53 PM
dg108
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Delete, somehow got in the wrong forum.

Last edited by dg108; 09-24-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
metelhead
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
From this thread:

]

Feature Overview:
  • Free lifetime updates

Can someone please explain the difference between ECU and OBDII port tune (outside of the actual hardware side of it). Tunes like APR offers I've heard just tricks the ECU, while the ECU tune is programed. I guess I'm just at odds with the process. Seems like you both end up at the same point, correct? Why do one over the other?

My mechanic highly suggests ECU over the OBD style, saying that you have more control on what is being tuned and getting the correct readings air/fuel or shift points etc...

OBD tune; easier to add or subtract, cheaper
ECU tune; more exact, and more variables to tune with, or customize

I'm out of Porsche warranty, but do have aftermarket service warranty. Do either of these effect that (I know I need to read the fine print again!)
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by metelhead
. . . Tunes like APR offers I've heard just tricks the ECU, while the ECU tune is programed. . .
I think you may be confusing a piggyback tune with the ECU tune via OBD2 port.

A piggyback, such as the JB4 Plug and Play, intercepts and modifies various sensor signals to the ECU. As you said, it tricks the ECU into thinking the values are not optimal and then causes it to produce more boost or inject more fuel - thus giving more power. The ECU is not modified in any way; it retains the original factory tune.

An ECU tune, or flash tune, modifies the factory computer programming to produce more power. It alters many more parameters than a piggyback tune. The program can be installed most easily via the OBD2 port. Another way to flash the ECU is to remove it from the vehicle and send it to the tuner for modification. The end result is the same; A generic “Stage 1” tune for that specific model that gives moderate performance gains using the stock factory engine.

If you want to add larger turbos, injectors, etc, you’ll need a custom “dyno tune”. This is a customized tune for your specific vehicle modifications and tailored to your preferences and tolerance for risk.

Last edited by Schnave; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
metelhead (Today)
Old Today, 03:23 PM
metelhead
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes thank you for the clarification! I was thinking the OBD tune as a piggyback.